Box turtle has no appetite

Laura Campos

Location (City and/or State)
Pomona
Hi all, I was hoping to get some feedback about my ttbt, Sam. I took him to the vet back in July and he's been steadily losing weight since then. She put him on an antibiotic last week to try and stimulate his appetite. He eats very little. I've tried everything, even the foods suggested here. He is a rescue over 3 years old. He was 394grams in July, now he is 376grams. I don't know what that means for a small turtle. I'm concerned. Thanks much!

20191001_102435.jpg 20191001_102359.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Have you fed him irresistible stuff to get his appetite going?
Live earthworms?
Mealworms or even a slice of apple?
As far as the apple goes. It's not a good food for a boxie. But it might just get him interested.
How is he being kept?
Is he warm enough?
Does he have U.V. lighting, etc.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
A picture of your enclosure for the turtle would help ensure that the right conditions are being met for the turtle to be healthy and comfortable enough to eat.

Laura Campos

Pomona
Thanks Coleen for the info. I have a copy of this and have tried giving him this recipe for awhile. he sniffs at it and walks away. This little guy is driving me nuts! He seems healthy. Active and bright eyed, but he is slowly losing weight. He won't even eat worms! I've been going over old posts from this forum looking for answers. I've even done the tough love and not offer him food for a couple of days. The though of him purposely starving himself makes me so sad. The vet has him on an antibiotic to try and stimulate his appetite or fight an infection we can't see. Here is a picture of his indoor enclosure. he has a uvb source and 3 basking sources, 2 for day and one for night when it's really cold. His enclosure is 4'x5' and he gets to be outside almost everyday for at least 2 hours. I'm stumped.

Attachments

• Picture_20190916_074232310[1].jpg
    Picture_20190916_074232310[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
if they are cold, they stop eating. Mine are preparing to hibernate and they don't want anything in their intestines to hibernate. Also- They hate change. Keep offering every other day and he should eventually eat if he is warm enough

Laura Campos

Pomona
I check his temps with a laser gun everyday. It must be the change. He's been through a lot over the last 6 months. I'll keep trying. I'm going to attempt to keep him up over his first winter with me. Spring and summer for this little fellow. Fortunately So Cal temps in the winter are not that bad. Thank you so much for your advice. Its invaluable.