BOX TURTLE EMERGENCY!!!

turtleman.jordan

I noticed my box turtle not moving at all for the last 2 days, well that's normal behavior for her lol but today I went and checked on her and she was still there so I picked her up and noticed this weird hoke to the left of her tail. I have no idea of what it is but looks like my dog when it had a rupturn anal gland.. what do I do plz help. I would have taken her to the vet today but I was not able to. She us a rescue and does have shell rot that is being treated.

144436654141625952240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks like at one time the turtle was chewed, judging by the shell. This probably was a wound that got infected and abscessed and has recently popped. The turtle needs to see a vet and get put on antibiotics, and maybe the vet can clean that wound out.

turtleman.jordan

Thanks for the quick reply @Yvonne G I've had her for roughly 6 months and was chewed on by a dog or raccoon the owner said. She's been fine for the past 6 months until this randomly appeared

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A cyst or abscess might be invisible from the outside. As it hardened and ripened, it might just explode, and the result would be similar to what you see there. Let's say the raccoon or dog or whatever had a bit of food or detritus on the tooth that made the original puncture, then it healed over. Eventually this would be a cyst or abscess. She's now showing the effects of the infection - sitting in one place for a long time.

turtleman.jordan

Thanks for all your help I'll try to get in with my vet asap! Is there anything I should do before I see my vet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They seem to love sitting in the water when they don't feel good. You can place her in some warm water for 15 or 20 minutes, then pat the spot dry and put a dab of Neosporin on it.