Box Turtle Male or Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
I am going with female also. I have not handled a male North American Box turtle in several years, but all males were kind of aggressive especially when shown a mirror.

These two both bury themselves when they see their reflection.

Also, the "new" boxies tail looks much more female than Cleo and their eyes are exactly the same. Although the new boxie is much more curious and outgoing. I think I got lucky, they're both old girls, but I plan on making sure I can do everything right by them. They are both 13cm and 454 g and 465g. Using Dr Donogues formula they're over minimum weight. Have to call the reptile vet to check out the new "girl". Last time I saw him he wanted me to "adopt" a beatiful blind male EBT. I told him I wouldn't take him unless he could help me get the necessary permits. I guess he didn't want the hastle.

I had a neighbor report our dogs because they were off leash. When the office came, I showed him the dogs were in a fenced yard, were very obedient and showed how there was no way out. He then saw Cleo in her fenced in habitat and told me EBT were illegal to keep. I gambled and told him she was a Russian tortoise and showed him pictures of EBT's. Thank goodness Three toed are so boring looking compaired to the markings of EBT's. Although, Three toed are legal to keep he seemed dumb and I didn't want to take the chance of him impounding her. I'd rather him send a Game warden or SPCA officer. I got lucky and he yelled at the neighbor for filing false reports and threatened her with harassment. I brought over a cake to her and apologized for causing her trouble. She's never bothered me again, although she loves to bug the other neighbors.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
There is something about a box turtle who maintains eye contact. Her expression is so hard to capture in pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20111122_072650.jpg
    IMG_20111122_072650.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 20

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I was planning on keeping the two girls apart till maybe next summer;
Vet told me new girl was free of parasites and had a hard life, but was now completely healthy. He told me, after the quarantine period since both Box turtles were girls, they can be housed together.

Last night my wife moved the girls together because the Vet said they were both healthy and can be housed together and she thinks two large enclosures take up two much room. I came home to find my first Box turtle on top of the new box turtle. The new box turtle seemed to be ignoring her and eating breakfast. There is no biting or other aggression, just occasionally Cleo keeps climbing on top of the new girl.

Have any other Box turtle owners had females show this kind of aggression?
I have seen it in dogs, but never thought it would happen in reptiles.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
If you mean the female is mounting the other one, yes, I've seen this. I've also seen ramming. They usually settle down in a day or two. As long as they aren't hurting each other, I just let them figure out their pecking order.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
They are currenly sleeping next to each other. They dig deep under the moss. They do not fight at all, just the weird mounting thing. I'll give them a couple days.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have two juvenile males that spent about two or three weeks mounting each other in early Spring. They settled whatever problems they had and spent the rest of the Summer ignoring each other, and pestering the females. I think it's a normal thing.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
The males that live with me have not fought each other though the oldest one Sheldon shows no interest in the young boys they don't bother him either. Shelly though will steal food from any body who isn't watching her.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
The girls still mount each other, the most weird thing is one mounts on one day and the other will mount on opposite day. Besides that they get along great.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
fbsmith3 said:
The girls still mount each other, the most weird thing is one mounts on one day and the other will mount on opposite day. Besides that they get along great.

ahh thats just them being turtlely : ) my two females do it often though the one on the bottom usually doesnt like it too much :) i wouldnt worry unless they started biting and constantly ramming etc

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I found out my 3 toed boxy was a female when she laid an egg!!...
Hopefully you find out...but mine has brown eyes...and usually the males have red and on their front legs they have orange or yellow spots

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Cleo looks like my female 3 toed. And i hold mine in a soft cloth on my lap...she likes to watch tv
..:tort:

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
They are both 100% female no question about it. Female Three Toed box turtle have very brown eyes, almost red. This can lead to confusion by some people. I don't know why I ever second guess myself. Whenever you place a female box turtle next to a male eye color is irrelevent, tail and belly features make males easy to determine.

Status
Not open for further replies.