Box turtle egg has dent on side, close to hatch date

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi Zovick, I followed your suggestion and added some moisture to help the humidity. I’m only suspecting they’re close to hatching based off some other sites I’ve read that said eggs can hatch at 45-55 days if incubated at 84 degrees. I’m curious if mine will follow suit! But yes, I’m used to it taking more like 70 days. As soon as I see any sign of hatching I’ll let you all know! ??
Since you added more moisture, have the dents gotten smaller or less obvious? Just curious to know if the added moisture has had any effect so far.

shallynblair

Location (City and/or State)
Grass Valley CA,
Since you added more moisture, have the dents gotten smaller or less obvious? Just curious to know if the added moisture has had any effect so far.
Hi Zovick!
After adding more moisture, the egg dents did not change. I find it interesting that two eggs have dents, and two eggs do not. Also, the two that have dents, have them on the same side. Not sure why! But they all do seem to be fine. Still no sign of pipping that I can see, but today is day 52. I can see the baby turtles inside when I candle them! So I think they’re all ok… just waiting and waiting and waiting… ?

shallynblair

Grass Valley CA,
As of today I’m still waiting for the other 3 eggs to begin hatching. The first one is still napping inside the eggshell and hasn’t emerged yet, but he’s got a little open window to breathe out of. I kinda had a feeling for the last several weeks that this particular baby would hatch first. It’s development seemed to be further along than the others.

Attachments

• 889560D0-EF02-403B-AC99-C27E70C7F0F8.jpeg
    889560D0-EF02-403B-AC99-C27E70C7F0F8.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 18

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
As of today I’m still waiting for the other 3 eggs to begin hatching. The first one is still napping inside the eggshell and hasn’t emerged yet, but he’s got a little open window to breathe out of. I kinda had a feeling for the last several weeks that this particular baby would hatch first. It’s development seemed to be further along than the others.
Congrats so eggciting

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Oh gawd, my Kerry would be in stitches right now....."eggciting"

So happy for you Shally, that has to be the neatest to watch! Soon the realization that they are a lot more work will set in....lol...enjoy....this IS the cool stuff they talk about!

shallynblair

Grass Valley CA,
This is just my opinion for whatever it is worth. 49 or 50 days seems early for those eggs to begin hatching. Most of my Box Turtle eggs have taken 65 days or thereabouts to hatch and have not dented unless too dry, at which point, I have taken corrective action to get rid of the dents by providing more moisture.

If that dented egg were in my incubator, I would suspect it was too dry and would sprinkle it with water daily until the dent was gone. Another option is to put the egg on a wet paper towel to let it absorb moisture.

Good luck!
Hi Zovick, just wanted to follow up! I can concur that temperature does appear to effect the duration of incubation. So far one baby hatched in just 54 days at 84 degrees. He/she is doing just fine, waiting for the others to begin pipping. At 80 degrees, I had hatchlings closer to 70 days. Today is day 56, hoping to see the others hatch soon! There is one other dented egg that I’m a bit worried about, not only because of the dents, but also it has become more yellowish and not as bone-white as the others. I know it “was” doing well for a while, I hope it’s still ok. I’m trying to not bother them too much.

shallynblair

Grass Valley CA,
Oh gawd, my Kerry would be in stitches right now....."eggciting"

So happy for you Shally, that has to be the neatest to watch! Soon the realization that they are a lot more work will set in....lol...enjoy....this IS the cool stuff they talk about!
Eggciting indeed ?? I do have another baby that hatched from the same parents a year ago this month! So now she has a sibling! She turned out beautiful, showing more of the Eastern traits, with 4 toes. The father is Eastern, mother is Three-Toed.

Attachments

• C3784C18-9E3F-413F-A4E7-59A304034ACB.jpeg
    C3784C18-9E3F-413F-A4E7-59A304034ACB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi Zovick, just wanted to follow up! I can concur that temperature does appear to effect the duration of incubation. So far one baby hatched in just 54 days at 84 degrees. He/she is doing just fine, waiting for the others to begin pipping. At 80 degrees, I had hatchlings closer to 70 days. Today is day 56, hoping to see the others hatch soon! There is one other dented egg that I’m a bit worried about, not only because of the dents, but also it has become more yellowish and not as bone-white as the others. I know it “was” doing well for a while, I hope it’s still ok. I’m trying to not bother them too much.
Sounds good. You might want to put a few drops of water directly on the yellowish egg each day to see what happens. It may not hatch, but at least you have given it your best effort.

Good luck with the others, too.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Awwwww, she's so darn cute!! Congrats and thanks for posting it's picture. It feels good to enjoy the pure things in life....Fingers crossed for the others, especially the underdog!

jeff