Bought Plants

Jacobjtd

So I bought plants from petco. Two plants and the lady who sold them to me told me they would be fine in my torts enclosures but I don't know since I can't find what plants they are anywhere online. Can anyone tell me what they are and if it's okay to place them in my torts tank? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417378954.716836.jpg
This one would go into my eastern box turtles tank.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417379008.113855.jpg
This one would go into my Hermanns tank.

Jacobjtd

I bought two plants for my Tortoises tanks. One for my Eastern Box Turtles tank. And one for my Hermanns tank. I can not identify the two plants even though I was told they were fine to be placed in the tanks. I can not seem to locate the plants online even though I purchased them at petco. Can anyone identify these and tell me if they are okay to have with my tortoises?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417381632.700476.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417381658.597579.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The first one might be an echiveria and I think the other is a draecena. They will both be ok in your tortoise habitats, however, leave them in a pot so the tortoises can't reach them. Nurseries use systemic fertilizers and pesticides that might not be good if your tortoise eats them.

Jacobjtd

Thank you! I'm going to wrap their roots in cans and transplant them into pure soil. So it's safe and if they are eaten they will grow back.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
There's a great website called The Tortoise Table, that is a big help with plants. :p

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I agree with Yvonne's IDs; water the Dracaena when it gets dry. Water the Echeveria hardly at all through the winter; even then, they tend to be weak and untidy growers in a reptile environment, so you may need to replace it sooner rather than later.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I bought some plants at Petco and put them in my enclosures. They employee there told me that they do not use any chemicals on their plants or in the water. Don't know if that is true but that is what they said. I still rinse the plants off real well as well as their roots.