Spider plants/ chlorophytum: a safe plant for the tortoise table?

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi, I have these baby spider plants, and I was wondering whether they are safe to have in my tortoises table. I collected some baby plants from my school, then collected the baby's of of the new plants. This should me they have no plant food in them. I worry that my baby tort might eat the whole plant if it is safe for her. Would that be bad?
Thanks
Mia.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
Hi, I have these baby spider plants, and I was wondering whether they are safe to have in my tortoises table. I collected some baby plants from my school, then collected the baby's of of the new plants. This should me they have no plant food in them. I worry that my baby tort might eat the whole plant if it is safe for her. Would that be bad?
Thanks
Mia.
They are planted in the same soil as her substrate. IMG_20190310_193411_614.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m sure these will be fine. You are starting baby spider plants, clean doil, no ferts, good to go. The issue arises when ppl go to a green house or garden centre, buy a plant (full of insecticides and fertilizers) and plop it down in with their tort. But, urs are clean and good to go.

Have fun.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
I’m sure these will be fine. You are starting baby spider plants, clean doil, no ferts, good to go. The issue arises when ppl go to a green house or garden centre, buy a plant (full of insecticides and fertilizers) and plop it down in with their tort. But, urs are clean and good to go.

Have fun.
Thank you so much. [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
I use them heavily in my outdoors enclosures.
I find that they need NO maintenance. They recover from being trampled on and that my tortoises never try to eat them.
Awesome, I will definitely stick some plants in later.
[emoji3]

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
I use them heavily in my outdoors enclosures.
I find that they need NO maintenance. They recover from being trampled on and that my tortoises never try to eat them.
If she did eat it all, would it make her ill. Just wondering because she tries to eat anything green... like my cactus bedclothes... [emoji38]

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
spider plants (Chlorophytum) is a safe tortoise food. I use them liberally in my tortoise enclosures. My favorites are Spider plant, prayer plant, pothos, boston fern, and creeping jenny to create great humidity, natural hides, and sight barriers for groups of young tortoises getting a good start:

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
spider plants (Chlorophytum) is a safe tortoise food. I use them liberally in my tortoise enclosures. My favorites are Spider plant, prayer plant, pothos, boston fern, and creeping jenny to create great humidity, natural hides, and sight barriers for groups of young tortoises getting a good start:

View attachment 267034

View attachment 267035
Awesome! [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There is another plant...A Lyriopi?
I'm sure I misspelled it.
It looks like a spider plant and is mildly toxic.
I have mistakenly used them also. But like I mentioned, my tortoises never attempted to eat them.
Be sure you get spider plants.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
There is another plant...A Lyriopi?
I'm sure I misspelled it.
It looks like a spider plant and is mildly toxic.
I have mistakenly used them also. But like I mentioned, my tortoises never attempted to eat them.
Be sure you get spider plants.
What type are your tortoises?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes....we use it here on outdoor landscspe borders...very similsr, but doesnt throw babies like Spider plant.

Liriope is a genus of low, grass-like, flowering plants from East Asia and Southeast Asia.

Lilyturf

Young variegated Liriope spicata
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
Clade: Angiosperms
Clade: Monocots
Order: Asparagales
Family: Asparagaceae
Subfamily: Nolinoideae
Genus: Liriope
Lour.
Synonyms[1]
Globeria Raf.

Some species are often used in landscaping in temperate latitudes. It may be called lilyturf in North America, although it is neither a true grass(family Poaceae) nor a lily (genus Lilium). In the APG III classification system, it is placed in the family Asparagaceae, subfamily Nolinoideae(formerly the family Ruscaceae[3]). Like many lilioid monocots, it was once classified with lilies in the family Liliaceae; it has also been placed in the former family Convallariaceae. The genus was named for Liriope in Greek mythology. Source - Wikipedia

Lynnee

Yes....we use it here on outdoor landscspe borders...very similsr, but doesnt throw babies like Spider plant.

Liriope is a genus of low, grass-like, flowering plants from East Asia and Southeast Asia.

Lilyturf

Young variegated Liriope spicata
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
Clade: Angiosperms
Clade: Monocots
Order: Asparagales
Family: Asparagaceae
Subfamily: Nolinoideae
Genus: Liriope
Lour.
Synonyms[1]
Globeria Raf.

Some species are often used in landscaping in temperate latitudes. It may be called lilyturf in North America, although it is neither a true grass(family Poaceae) nor a lily (genus Lilium). In the APG III classification system, it is placed in the family Asparagaceae, subfamily Nolinoideae(formerly the family Ruscaceae[3]). Like many lilioid monocots, it was once classified with lilies in the family Liliaceae; it has also been placed in the former family Convallariaceae. The genus was named for Liriope in Greek mythology. Source - Wikipedia[/

Lynnee

View attachment 267034

View attachment 267035
So. Yes or no can my my my Russian eat spider plants?

View attachment 267034

View attachment 267035

View attachment 267034

View attachment 267035
beautiful enclosure! I have a Russian. So you are saying he can freely eat the spider plant?

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
Thanks
Mia.
I think she likes them a bit to much! [emoji23]1553430633142.jpeg1553430621931.jpeg1553430581631.jpeg