books

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claireabbo

so pretty much i just got a kindle! :) and i want to know some good book series that are like lord of the rings and chronicles of narnia! i loooovvveee those kind of books. im considering stephen king but im not sure suggestions pleaseeee! :D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Stephen King, I like the Bachman Books.

Terry Brooks is also good.

C

Claireabbo

jaizei said:
Stephen King, I like the Bachman Books.

Terry Brooks is also good.

what are they about? and like plots and story lines and such?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
The Golden Compass trilogy by Phillip Pullman
The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins

I pre-read these for my daughter last year and loved them too. I am pretty sure my husband has read every Stephen King book so I will ask him to post. I will post other's when I think of them.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Can't go wrong with Stephen King. Bachman Books is definitely good, four short novellas written in his early days under the pseudonym Richard Bachman.

Also recommend:
It, The Stand, Misery, The Shining, The Eyes of the Dragon, Under the Dome and of course The entire Darktower series. Descriptions and sample chapters can be found at Amazon.com.

C

Claireabbo

just got samples of all the golden compass triology! :D thanks for the suggestion! they look really great and interesting! :)

what are the names of the bachman books?

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
For SK books, I strongly reccommend Bag of Bones and Duma Key. It if you are looking to be scared of clowns for the rest of your life, Salem's Lot if you like vampires, any of his short stories or novellas. Have fun with it!

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
The Sword of Shannara trilogy by Terry Brooks. To me it is basically the same story line as Lord of the Rings. I liked it though and it did pretty well back in the late 70s. Or I would say the Dark Tower series by Stephen King it is not like his normal writing more like a crazy western, knight quest.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D unlike the rest, I would recommend anything by S. King BUT the tower series. :D

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
Jacqui said:
:D unlike the rest, I would recommend anything by S. King BUT the tower series. :D

I would agree I like his Tower series and his Bachman stories, but do not really like his other stories. I have not met anyone that really enjoys both styles of writing. So, if you do not like his regular stories you might have a better chance of liking these.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Big fan of Dean Koontz, Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey and Piers Anthony...all fantastic yarn-spinners.

For classics, I recommend Victor Hugo, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens and Hermann Hesse.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I read a book called " the first immortal" enjoyed it greatly, sci fi.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Claireabbo said:
just got samples of all the golden compass triology! :D thanks for the suggestion! they look really great and interesting! :)

The title of the book is The Bachman Books. It is a collection of four novellas written by Stephen King using the pseudonym Richard Bachman. My favorite of the four is The Long Walk.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Jacqui said:

Everyone I know that likes Stephen King says that the Dark Tower series are his best books, but I struggled through the Gunslinger, couldn't get into it and gave up on book 2. One day though, I'll try again.

Robert said:
Claireabbo said:

The title of the book is The Bachman Books. It is a collection of four novellas written by Stephen King using the pseudonym Richard Bachman. My favorite of the four is The Long Walk.

There's also Thinner. And compared to most of his books they're definitely novellas.

C

Claireabbo

Terry Allan Hall said:
Big fan of Dean Koontz, Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey and Piers Anthony...all fantastic yarn-spinners.

For classics, I recommend Victor Hugo, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens and Hermann Hesse.

as far as mercedes lackey goes which books would you reccomend by this author

Status
Not open for further replies.