Boiling substrate

Wright78

Location (City and/or State)
North Attleboro MA
I have new orchid bark that I would like to boil to remove any bugs inside, I have seen a couple moving around. How long should I boil it for to remove any bugs?
I have a big pot and propane burner that I'm going to do it outside, my wife will not let me do it on the kitchen stove.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Per Google, I figure if it is good for baby bottles. Should be fine for you. Sad you got buggy choir. Mine was awesome and I am going out to get some pill bugs when the weather breaks
Boiling
  1. Place clean bottles, teats, caps and utensils in a large saucepan on the back burner of the stove.
  2. Add enough water to cover all the equipment, making sure there are no air bubbles.
  3. Bring water to the boil, and boil rapidly for 5 minutes.
  4. Turn off the stove and allow the water to cool down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
3-5 minutes is plenty.

But keep in mind, those bugs don't come from the substrate. They come from the surrounding environment. They will recolonize your warm damp substrate within a couple of weeks. They are harmless detrivores and I just ignore them.

Wright78

North Attleboro MA
3-5 minutes is plenty.

But keep in mind, those bugs don't come from the substrate. They come from the surrounding environment. They will recolonize your warm damp substrate within a couple of weeks. They are harmless detrivores and I just ignore them.

Tom the substrate had the bugs in it when I bought it, there are a few different types of bugs. I want to kill them all and introduce the springtails and pill bugs that I already have colonized.

z2880

MA
Interesting, what do you do when you replace the substrate ? Do you loose some pill bugs?