Substrate bugs

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Napa, Ca
I know this is a topic that has been discussed much in the past. However, the bugs in our tort's enclosure have multiplied to a point where they could almost be considered to be "teeming". There are a LOT. They are small blackish, winged, non-flying, fast crawling, soft bodied bugs. They are most apparent in the food dish. We have found one on our Tort's foot when we took him out to go for his soak. We are just concerned that the bugs will turn on their tortoise overlord and try to consume him. (Our Leopard is still young and just over two pounds now).

I added a handful of pillbugs to the enclosure a few weeks ago, but the smaller bugs have only continued to grow in quantity.

He is in a 4'x4' enclosure with an orchid bark substrate. The amount of substrate required for this enclosure is too large to (practically) boil, bake, or freeze. What would people recommend? We're in for a long indoor winter.

Should I bake a few bricks of coair, and use that as a substrate base, and then boil a large pot of orchid bark as topper? I really feel like if cooking the substrate is the ONLY option, then that would be the only way I could feasibly do it. What are peoples thoughts on the issue? We had bugs when he was on coair before, but nowhere near as bad as they are now that he's on orchid bark.