Bob's winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I recently received a PM from a forum member telling me he missed Bob's different adventures and he was wondering what Bob is doing during the winter...so here is what Bob does during the winter....

This is his favorite thing to do and he does it a lot...
nyz6fm.jpg

Actually this is probably his favorite thing to do...
34xjiw3.jpg

Here he is going outside...
2a8lwnp.jpg

This is just after he's taken a drink in his water dish, look at the mask around his mouth...
iqzb6c.jpg

This is another thing he does a lot of in the winter...grazes...so I guess that's tied in with eating...
abqw4w.jpg

This is the little neighbor girl trying to interrupt his eating...she does not succeed...
5pl74g.jpg

He continues to eat...
1t68wp.jpg

This is what else he does a lot of in the winter...I guess when so much goes in something has to go out...
288wns7.jpg

He also plays with his ball...he rams it and gets on top to squish it...
20uvqmv.jpg

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
We should take up a collection to buy your neighbor girl some shoe laces! Oh wait, thats probably fashionable now a days!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Ahh what a life :D He is one spoiled, loved, "little" tort!!
He just has the cutest face- totally looks like a "Bob" :)

When Nelson was eating his butternut squash today I was telling my sister about Bob's squash face :) He's a legend ;)

eta: I forget- how old was Bob when he came to live with you?

M

Maggie Cummings

(A continuation of the story)

He likes to stand up in this corner as he can almost see out...
dlgdo1.jpg

Look at how scratched up his poor face is from rubbing it in the corner of the fence...
j8odw8.jpg

He naps right here most of the time as this is the best spot for the sun...
ogx7c5.jpg

He also naps with his face out like this...
1239vkp.jpg

So that's what he does during the winter, not much but I guess he likes it alright...
Here he is going inside to do what he likes to do best...
206fzav.jpg

w82iwn.jpg

Well, I sure posted this wrong and it wouldn't let me go back and fix it, so I apologize for the mix up...[/i]

He was 5 when I got him and he is 12 now...I love his face too. People say that Sulcata all look the same but I don't think so...

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Bob surely is very lucky fellow to have such a fine human as you, maggie. Love your stories. Lots. And Sulcata don't look the same - RV has softer eyes than the boys do.. my opinion.......

teri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also think that girl sulcata faces look more feminine than boy faces.

Great pictures, Maggie. Thanks for the winter treat!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love the Bob stories too. What a handful he is.

I've also noticed quite a few different "looks" among sulcatas. I've always suspected its from different localities within their very large range, but I have never been able to verify this.

M

Maggie Cummings

When Yvonne fixed my thread that I screwed up she accidentally deleted these pictures...

Every evening Bob gets a squash treat...
vdg1zd.jpg

When I feed him inside he always squashes the food before he eats it. It cracks me up, he gets on the food and does a kind of a hootchie cootchie dance and squishes it really good then eats it all...
s4m4w2.jpg

He not only plays with his ball, but he likes to fight with the 5 gallon bucket you can see here. He has it squashed also...
4qope9.jpg

When he has to spend the day inside he likes to mess the shed up really good. So he pushes hay all over then poops and pees in the fresh hay so I have to toss it out. He stands watching as I am sweeping and mopping and I swear I can hear him laughing...
15yc07b.jpg

This is the Bob that we know and love, so dignified and yet a total goofball. Bob really doesn't have any adventures now that we have the Bob fence to protect against his escapes. He is so much easier to care for now that he can't escape, and his shed is totally set up so he is warm and there's enough room for him to walk off some of the built up energy that adult Sulcata get...Bob is a handful and until I got everything needed to protect him and care for him correctly he was truly a problem. But he is not a problem anymore he is a sweetheart to care for now. He's fun and I so much enjoy having him...I hope you have enjoyed these pictures...
sl1xc8.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Maggie, I'm pretty sick tonight, and was just taking a quick look around here, and then I saw your Bob post. Better than penicillin. Love, love, love Bob stories. I'm still pushing for that book.

"We should take up a collection to buy your neighbor girl some shoe laces! Oh wait, that's probably fashionable now a days! "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott

Where have YOU been Scott?? Those sneakers don't come with shoe laces...LOL:D :D :D

moswen

5 Year Member
bettinge said:
We should take up a collection to buy your neighbor girl some shoe laces! Oh wait, thats probably fashionable now a days!

haha i didn't even notice that until i read your post! you'd be good at the "what's missing" in movie trivia.

i was just thinking i hadn't heard from bob in a while, nice to see some new pictures! what is that dirt pile on the left of the first picture in the second set of pictures you posted?

.... how are his match making skills turning out?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that's going to be Maggie's garden.

M

Maggie Cummings

moswen said:
bettinge said:

haha i didn't even notice that until i read your post! you'd be good at the "what's missing" in movie trivia.

i was just thinking i hadn't heard from bob in a while, nice to see some new pictures! what is that dirt pile on the left of the first picture in the second set of pictures you posted?

.... how are his match making skills turning out?

I am adding mulch (Bob poop) and preparing it to grow different lettuces and food for the tortoises for next spring. I grew different lettuces there this year and it worked out really good. And adding Bob poop absolutely makes a difference, stuff grows really good with a Bob poop mulch...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hail King Robert II...doing whatever the hell he wants!:p

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Thanks Maggie!! I just love Bob stories and it looks like he's doing great as usual. Visions of him playing with his ball and squashing the bucket really crack me up. :D

Hope you and bob have some wonderful holidays coming up!! Keep the updates coming!

M

Maggie Cummings

Greg T said:
Thanks Maggie!! I just love Bob stories and it looks like he's doing great as usual. Visions of him playing with his ball and squashing the bucket really crack me up. :D

Hope you and bob have some wonderful holidays coming up!! Keep the updates coming!

You should see him chasing that ball and smashing it down. If he bumps it then he has to chase it and he does, so he gets exercise around the yard and it's funny to watch him trying to smash it down. I say that he's playing soccer with it...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Dang it. My computer will not load all of the Bob photos, even though I went to another page to wait for them all to "settle". :(

I take that back...they did load, finally! Otherwise I'd have been whining for emails!

Bob really does have such an expressive face (except when he's ignoring the poor neighbor girl)! ;) He is one mischievous-looking tortoise.

Another winter for Bob. I am glad he has not yet managed to pull down the walls of his shed. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.