Black line under shell

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi all, I’m new here.
I’ve had Steve for two month or so and tonight I’ve noticed a black/brown line under his shell, could anyone please give me an idea as to what it could be.
Been non stop reading and trying to look up what it could possibly be?
thank you

Anybody else think there might be some shell rot going on?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all, I’m new here.
I’ve had Steve for two month or so and tonight I’ve noticed a black/brown line under his shell, could anyone please give me an idea as to what it could be.
thank you

View attachment 315230
This dark area looks like normally colored growth on the plastron. If you look at photos of adult Redfoots, their plastra are not all light in color, they have patterns of dark and light areas. I imagine that you will see more dark areas appearing as the tortoise gets larger.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all, I’m new here.
thank you

View attachment 315230
Here is an ad showing the plastron of a larger Redfoot which has the dark pattern I mentioned above in the center of its plastron. Scroll down in the ad to the plastron photo of the two tortoises. I believe that your tortoise may end up looking like the one on the left in the ad in a few more years: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748334

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't know why it's dark like that. It's right where his umbilical scar is. It's strange. I'll tag members who may be able to help.

It looks like there is some shell rot at the bottom. Only seeing the plastron, it's hard for me to be sure...is he a redfoot?

These members will be able to help with that, too.

And welcome to the forum!

@zovick
@ZEROPILOT
@Yvonne G
I see nothing of concern with the dark area of the plastron. If that's what you're asking.
The other spots could be fungal or it could be a burn.
I'd like to know more about that "heat mat".

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi yes he is a red footed tortoise, he has a table top enclosure with a closed area to the left side it has a heat pad in the closed area.
He’s currently on a mix of soil and sand as a friend of mine has one and recommended this to me I have red up all sorts but it’s mainly the same thing over and over on posts.

thank you
Sand is a bad substrate for any tortoise. But especially so for a tropical tortoise like a Redfoot.
That is a high humidity needing species. Tortoise tables are not suitable.
Search CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURES.
Can you give us some photos of the lighting? And explain the heat "mat". Because I'd like to rule out a burn injury for the area that looks like shell fungus. I don't see how he could have shell fungus with such a dry enclosure.
Please don't get upset with me, but that entire set up is just wrong.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Hi yes he is a red footed tortoise, he has a table top enclosure with a closed area to the left side it has a heat pad in the closed area.
He’s currently on a mix of soil and sand as a friend of mine has one and recommended this to me I have red up all sorts but it’s mainly the same thing over and over on posts.

thank you
Sand is not a recommended substrate. Very irritating to tortoise ?

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina

thank you
Sand is not a recommended substrate. Very irritating to tortoise ?