Black nose - hibernation fridge

siannyevans

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Hi, my 6 year old horsefield is in hibernation using fridge method. 3rd year hibernating. Was checked by vets prior. Been in fridge since 23/11/2020. On inspection today he has black spot on his nose and I’m really worried. I’ve emailed the vet but yet to hear back. Any idea what it might be? Thanks in advance.
34CECFB0-EC90-41A7-89B3-616936145020.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is moisture. Possibly condensation from breathing. What is the temp in the fridge? I try not to disturb them or handle them during hibernation.

siannyevans

Wales
That is moisture. Possibly condensation from breathing. What is the temp in the fridge? I try not to disturb them or handle them during hibernation.

Thanks Tom. I’ve checked him again and his nose is normal. I’ve not seen it like that before and it panicked me. Temps are between 4-5 degrees. I was told to open the fridge a couple of times a day to circulate air and also take him out once a week to weigh and check him over. Do you do that? He’s in his own fridge in a ventilated plastic box lined with newspaper and soil. When he first went into the box he ripped through the newspaper when burying himself in the soil so he’s now covered in newspaper and soil. Do you use both in your boxes? Thanks ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. I’ve checked him again and his nose is normal. I’ve not seen it like that before and it panicked me. Temps are between 4-5 degrees. I was told to open the fridge a couple of times a day to circulate air and also take him out once a week to weigh and check him over. Do you do that? He’s in his own fridge in a ventilated plastic box lined with newspaper and soil. When he first went into the box he ripped through the newspaper when burying himself in the soil so he’s now covered in newspaper and soil. Do you use both in your boxes? Thanks ?
4-5 C is perfect for a horsfield. You can open the fridge, but I don't get them out and weigh or disturb them. I don't think its the end of the world if someone else wants to do that, but I prefer to leave them alone.

I never use soil under tortoises. There is no way to know what composted material is is made of and it could be something unsafe.

I use some of whatever substrate they've been living on to hibernate them. Either fine grade orchid bark or coco coir. I use just enough dampness to keep the dust down, but never wet. I monitor temps daily or almost daily, but I leave them be until its time to start slowly warming them back up.

siannyevans

Wales
4-5 C is perfect for a horsfield. You can open the fridge, but I don't get them out and weigh or disturb them. I don't think its the end of the world if someone else wants to do that, but I prefer to leave them alone.

I never use soil under tortoises. There is no way to know what composted material is is made of and it could be something unsafe.

I use some of whatever substrate they've been living on to hibernate them. Either fine grade orchid bark or coco coir. I use just enough dampness to keep the dust down, but never wet. I monitor temps daily or almost daily, but I leave them be until its time to start slowly warming them back up.

Thanks Tom for your advice and taking the time to respond it is much appreciated ?