Black line under shell

JessicaB

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hi all, I’m new here.
I’ve had Steve for two month or so and tonight I’ve noticed a black/brown line under his shell, could anyone please give me an idea as to what it could be.
Been non stop reading and trying to look up what it could possibly be?
thank you

Attachments

• 05058564-3461-4B05-AE8D-883CF7EE6697.jpeg
    05058564-3461-4B05-AE8D-883CF7EE6697.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54

JessicaB

Lancashire
Hi all, I’m new here.
I’ve had Steve for two month or so and tonight I’ve noticed a black/brown line under his shell, could anyone please give me an idea as to what it could be.
Been non stop reading and trying to look up what it could possibly be?
thank you

66A3F88C-DFB1-4662-8423-8EB0E545D8EB.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
What species is he? Redfoot?
It could be a normal change but if you tell us what species of tort he is members with the same would be able to advise you.
Also pics of his enclosure and info about lamps, and substrate etc would help rule out anything that may have affected it.
Don't worry, you have a great up to date forum for tort lovers everywhere and someone will be along to help soon.

JessicaB

Lancashire
Hi yes he is a red footed tortoise, he has a table top enclosure with a closed area to the left side it has a heat pad in the closed area.
He’s currently on a mix of soil and sand as a friend of mine has one and recommended this to me I have red up all sorts but it’s mainly the same thing over and over on posts.

thank you

JessicaB

Lancashire
Hi and welcome.
What species is he? Redfoot?
It could be a normal change but if you tell us what species of tort he is members with the same would be able to advise you.
Also pics of his enclosure and info about lamps, and substrate etc would help rule out anything that may have affected it.
Don't worry, you have a great up to date forum for tort lovers everywhere and someone will be along to help soon.

394C9879-FDA0-449A-B1EB-E5FF787D5C57.png

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I'm glad you posted your question. The darkening you noted doesn't concern me but your enclosure does. That enclosure is not appropriate. I don't keep Redfoot's, and I'm sure someone who does will comment soon, but they are a species that need very humid conditions. You should switch to a closed chamber enclosure ASAP and get the humidity up to proper levels. The dry conditions that exist in your open top enclosure, paired with the (likely) cool temperatures on your floor will cause problems very quickly. Redfoot keepers will respond with a proper caresheet.

JessicaB

Lancashire
I'm glad you posted your question. The darkening you noted doesn't concern me but your enclosure does. That enclosure is not appropriate. I don't keep Redfoot's, and I'm sure someone who does will comment soon, but they are a species that need very humid conditions. You should switch to a closed chamber enclosure ASAP and get the humidity up to proper levels. The dry conditions that exist in your open top enclosure, paired with the (likely) cool temperatures on your floor will cause problems very quickly. Redfoot keepers will respond with a proper caresheet.
Oh it was only on the floor for around an hour when we first brought him into our home, whilst we got the room set up for him he’s in a well heated room also.
the person I bought him off had also had him in this for the past year.

what Do you recommend I have also nowgot him a humid hide?
thanjs

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think you need to make changes to your enclosure to keep your tort safe and healthy. He hasn't had the best start.
Read the caresheet for redfoots which will tell you all about substrate diet temps humidity etc.
Sand isn't recommended for torts because it gets on their food and can cause the gut to become impacted which would be very painful and dangerous. I also think it's too dry for redfoots.

There is a lot of old information on the internet being passed on, so stick to this forum as the members here are very experienced keepers and some of them are involved in research so the information is up to date.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Oh it was only on the floor for around an hour when we first brought him into our home, whilst we got the room set up for him he’s in a well heated room also.
the person I bought him off had also had him in this for the past year.

what Do you recommend I have also nowgot him a humid hide?
thanjs
Unfortunately that open top setup won't work. If the tortoise has been in that for a year its already causing harm. Read that care sheet and search this forum for "closed chamber". That's what you want. I see you are in the UK - so I'm not sure who you can buy them from but you can build one. @Tom has faster access to a series of good threads on this site you can read to learn more about closed chambers - I just don't have the links saved up.

JessicaB

Lancashire
I think you need to make changes to your enclosure to keep your tort safe and healthy. He hasn't had the best start.
Read the caresheet for redfoots which will tell you all about substrate diet temps humidity etc.
Sand isn't recommended for torts because it gets on their food and can cause the gut to become impacted which would be very painful and dangerous. I also think it's too dry for redfoots.

There is a lot of old information on the internet being passed on, so stick to this forum as the members here are very experienced keepers and some of them are involved in research so the information is up to date.
Thank you I feel awful now!
Now I feel all the reading up I have done is wrong

would you say soil is better alone?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY

I know you are limited in your available products in the UK. I spent a number of years on the board of the Tortoise Trust and know of the frustrations getting all the products we can get here in the US. Do you have access to coco coir or cypress mulch or orchid bark? If you cannot get any of those, soil is better than sand, but still not ideal. You will also need to soak it with water and I would guess your tortoise table will not hold water. You will have to line it with something until you get another enclosure.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

We all make mistakes before we find this place but the sooner you rectify them the better.
Check the caresheet which Sterant has give the link for. That would be your best guide.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh my goodness!

I will look into buying one thank you
You may not need another - unless it is the wrong sort for redfoot of course - just find a way of hanging it, that way you can also adjust temps if needed by raising or lowering. What sort of thermometer are you using to check his temps?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I know you are limited in your available products in the UK. I spent a number of years on the board of the Tortoise Trust and know of the frustrations getting all the products we can get here in the US. Do you have access to coco coir or cypress mulch or orchid bark? If you cannot get any of those, soil is better than sand, but still not ideal. You will also need to soak it with water and I would guess your tortoise table will not hold water. You will have to line it with something until you get another enclosure.
Yes we can get coco coir and orchid bark at places like Pets at Home or The Range as well as other pet shops. I've not seen cyprus mulch anywhere though.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Another couple days in that enclosure won't kill it - read everything we sent and get a good plan together. A possible solution would be for you to go buy a very large rubbermaid tote with a top and use that to start....but again - read up, plan out what youre going to do, and do it right the first time.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Yes we can get coco coir and orchid bark at places like Pets at Home or The Range as well as other pet shops. I've not seen cyprus mulch anywhere though.
That's good. I prefer orchid bark because it isn't messy - I use fine orchid bark for all of my babies regardless of species. If you can't get the fine grade (the pieces are around 6mm) then use the coco.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know why it's dark like that. It's right where his umbilical scar is. It's strange. I'll tag members who may be able to help.

It looks like there is some shell rot at the bottom. Only seeing the plastron, it's hard for me to be sure...is he a redfoot?

These members will be able to help with that, too.

And welcome to the forum!

@zovick
@ZEROPILOT
@Yvonne G