Big ol batagur

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Impressive turtle! Love it. I would love to see you place sometime, Kelly. Used to go to Texas all the time, but now down there rarely.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neat-O! Love that species. Hope you get lots and lots of babies in the future.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Good grief...I thought it was a P. expansa at first glance. That is an impressive animal!
Best wishes on breeding.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Good grief...I thought it was a P. expansa at first glance. That is an impressive animal!
Best wishes on breeding.
Man I wish. Still on the waiting list for expansa. Can't wait. Just a few more podocnemis species and I'll have them all. Just love those guys. South Americas finest in my opinion.

conservation

10 Year Member!
I was just reading about those. They seem awesome! What size pond while it be living in?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I was just reading about those. They seem awesome! What size pond while it be living in?
Right now he's in a 600 gallon tub. This weekend he will go in a pond. Eventually (few weeks or so I'm taking a chunk of time off from work) he will be in a massive outdoor pond. Somewhere in the size of 40' wide and 60' deep water depth of 4' or so in the middle.

Here he is in the big tub though.
Super friendly turtle.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: Rue

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
And I got another batagur affinis too with this guy at a discount because it's she'll got nipped by previous owner. Building up the batagur collection. Love these guys. Next to the pangshura and podocnemis these guys are awesome.
image.jpeg

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
It must be really interesting to work with such large turtle species. I wish I had the facilities to do so the 'right' way...meaning providing the space they need as you do with an actual pond.
I'd love to have a group of Callagur borneoensis cruising around.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It must be really interesting to work with such large turtle species. I wish I had the facilities to do so the 'right' way...meaning providing the space they need as you do with an actual pond.
I'd love to have a group of Callagur borneoensis cruising around.
Indeed. Most of the mammoth species I've added like podocnemis and batagur are young. I'd love some larger ones. But still have to upgrade large ponds. Our frost zone is 10b similar to 10a in Miami. So lots of keepers down in Miami area have success at keeping the late guys outside year round as long the pond is deep. In about 3-4 weeks I'm going to start on the crocodilians exhibit and large ponds. Man that pond liner is not cheap I'll say. I can't wait for these big boys to be swimming around like you say. The 8 acres I've plotted for the park is getting smaller and smaller each weekend. Ha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wouldn't Bentonite be a better or cheaper sealant?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Such a cool turtle. He is starting to turn and get his breeding season colors. Carapace changing and head starting to turn red.
image.jpeg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ha. A 40x60 at 4' deep in the center is 71,172 gallons. Ha that's a lot of water. Need to strategically construct these before the wet season for free fill up. My well might explode if I used a hose.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For using the sodium bentonite you would figure the overall square footage, not the cubic area. And you would put it down prior to putting in the water (I think)