Big grubs in Texas

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
You guys may recall my posting pics of HUGE (size of my finger!) grubs that Ihaf found in my garden. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463150521.017323.jpg I was trying to find out what tjis was... Tried to look it up and found : "maybe an Ox beetle"... Well, I was digging where I had left the grub in confined area so there was not way for other critters to get in and have a look at our "grub"!: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463150751.458027.jpg our "grub" is working on becoming cicada?...

Rue

Canada
I'm not familiar with the insects in your area, but the first picture is an immature beetle...or a grub. I'd guess a June Beetle, or something closely related (still in the family Scarabaeidae). Beetles are beetles. Cicadas are cicadas. Two different orders of insects.

That pupae looks like a beetle pupae from what I can see.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I know, right??!! Maybe I just thought that bag of compost was non penetrable... All I know is that couple of wks ago I left 2 huge fat grubs in there and yesterday dug out two cicada looking nymphs or whatever they are. I was just trying to find out if there could be a possible connection between them, or maybe just pure coincidence. Just curious that al

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I used to trim trees in Austin. Sometimes i'd be sawing down a half-rotten old chinaberry, hackberry, or whatever, and find these huge grubs llike that tunneled into the rotting wood.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd find them on my sidewalk in the front yard whenever I used to spray for yard bugs. They'd be trying to flee I guess.
I never did figure out what they were the larvae of.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I used to trim trees in Austin. Sometimes i'd be sawing down a half-rotten old chinaberry, hackberry, or whatever, and find these huge grubs llike that tunneled into the rotting wood.
So where are you when I need you?! My trees are in bed need of trimming and my husband tends to take months of even years contemplating and planning before finally getting his chain saw... I swear, I'd never get anything done at work, home or with the kids if I did that