Beware of the tortoise

Matt j Harris

I brought some prorep dry tortoise food as reviews seemed pretty good and it's got 29 different weeds in it he doesn't seem very keen on it I damped it down to soften it he's tried it but not taking to it would you avoid dry foods or still offer it once a week?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I like to have my tortoises learn to accept the manufactured diets. That way they have a stand in food in case there's ever a time when fresh greens aren't available to me. Try chopping up his normal rations into tiny pieces. Moisten the dry food until it expands and falls apart, then mix a little bit of the dry into the greens until it's all incorporated. Just start with a bit at a time and increase it over time until he's eating it well. After he's become accustomed to the taste, you can go back to your original plan and offer it once a week.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Nice photo! The little guy's a cutie!! Your "beware" sign is on my Amazon wish list! ;)

Twan777

I brought some prorep dry tortoise food as reviews seemed pretty good and it's got 29 different weeds in it he doesn't seem very keen on it I damped it down to soften it he's tried it but not taking to it would you avoid dry foods or still offer it once a week?
This is how I feed my dry tort foodimage.jpeg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Looks good mixed with some veggies! The more variety, the better!! ;)