Best Online Suppliers to buy Tortoises from

dreamspirit12302

Hi, I'm looking into buying a Tortoise online and having it shipped overnight.. Was wondering if anyone has had this done, If they could give me a list of the best online suppliers to deal with..
Thanks so much! :shy:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Which type of tortoise are you looking for? We have a lot of private breeders and those are usually the best way to go. We do also have some dealers that are good. It is just easier to narrow the list down by knowing what exactly your looking for. :)

As for the shipping part, it's a lot of worry and nerves for you, but actually normally very safe for the tortoise. Be sure to ask who your buying from how they ship and what they guarantee on them. Best to have your tortoise shipped to arrive on Tues or Wed, with Thursday sorta okay, Never have it shipped to arrive on a Friday, just incase something goes wrong and the animal is lost or delayed along the way. Also be aware of the temperatures at your end and any hubs it will be stopping at along the way for really cold or hot temps.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
You can look at Tortoise Supply in Nevada or Arizona Tortoise Compound.
Both are great.

dreamspirit12302

kathyth said:
Both are great.

I also have been noticing that places that sell them, They sell the adults for way cheaper than the babies.. Why is that? Is it because people want babies more than the adults?
Is it better to get a baby than a adult? I wouldn't mind a adult or a baby but I was just wondering. I suppose it's less stressful for a baby to be shipped than a adult?

dreamspirit12302

Is it best to get a male or female or is it just a personal preference? Is there differences in personality?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Adults often cost less, because they have been caught from the wild. Also you often see adults that folks are trying to find new homes for. Shipping is about equal stress on both, temperatures will matter more to a hatchling then an adult due to less body mass. Adults are not quite as touchy as adults, so often easier to raise an adult then a baby. The choice between male and female is pretty much one of personal choice. I persoanlly do rather see a female going into a home that might breed her further down the line. Once more, that's a persoanl thing.

dreamspirit12302

Sorry, For all the questions.. Is it best to keep them in pairs (Do they enjoy company) or are they fine by themselves?

No, I do not plan on breeding..

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dreamspirit12302 said:
Sorry, For all the questions.. Is it best to keep them in pairs (Do they enjoy company) or are they fine by themselves?

Questions are good! :) Especially with Russians, singles are best and easier to keep. We humans don't think they enjoy company.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Shipping in cold weather can be an issue. The people that own these companies are quick to respond to email. They will help you!
Adults as mentioned are often wild caught.
They are much easier to care for than babies.

Please research, in this site the enclosure needs of these tortoises.

Your questions are great?

dreamspirit12302

kathyth said:
Shipping in cold weather can be an issue. The people that own these companies are quick to respond to email. They will help you!

Yes, I have been researching the enclosures. Trying to decide which way to go..

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
kathyth said:
Both are great.

Both of these will ship in this weather.

dreamspirit12302

dreamspirit12302 said:
kathyth said:

Yes, I have been researching the enclosures. Trying to decide which way to go..

Is it best to have a enclosure to where they can't see through the sides of the cage? I kinda wanted a cage to where I would be able to see through the sides of it? The Tortoise will be in my living room and it would be nice to be able to watch him/her through the cage..

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The clear sides can go either way, depending on the tortoise. If you use clear, but end up with a tortoise having issues with it, you can put a band (like wrapping paper even) around the base so he can't see out, but you can still see in.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
From what I've read, Russians are small but are pretty active. They'll probably require more space than what you've described or you might start to hear them scratching at the walls to get out.

Bigger is always better and a huge, protected outside enclosure is better than any sized indoor one (for the most part).

dreamspirit12302

pfara said:
From what I've read, Russians are small but are pretty active. They'll probably require more space than what you've described or you might start to hear them scratching at the walls to get out.

Bigger is always better and a huge, protected outside enclosure is better than any sized indoor one (for the most part).

I agree that a outside enclosure is best and I would house him/her in a enclosure outside in the summer/fall months but I'm in Northwest Michigan and our winters get way to cold (I think, anyway) to keep outside year round.. Would that size I mentioned be ok just to keep one in for the winter months?