can I buy a tortoise online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ aria
Hello! I'm looking into buying a russian or hermann's tortoise. At my local reptile shop they don't have much of a selection and their prices are a little expensive from what I've read, so I started looking online and found a website called Backwater Reptiles.com that sells a lot of different tortoises for a good price. Can you tell me if this looks like a good website for buying a tortoise. They guarantee live arrival. One more thing: does shipping a tortoise cause it to much stress? (I've watched a few tortoise un-boxing videos on youtube and they seemed a little stunned coming out of the box.) Do you know what type environment they are shipped in inside of that little box?

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, you can buy online. They get shipped all over the country just about everyday. :)

I ship babies all over the country and they do very well. It may take a day for them to settle down, but some start eating right out of the box. They just have to be packed correctly.

I don't know the dealer you have mentioned so I can't say one way or another anything about them, but the prices aren't that great.

Be careful, some out there on the net are not actually "breeders", they are just "dealers".

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I know we have some sites on here that we trust. I've never heard of that one. And I got my Cooper from an online site. And lucky for me he has been a great, healthy tort for the most part. Good luck to you!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
tortoise007 said:
Do you know if tom breeds russians? Or should I just contact him?

Well I think he is a Sulcata man, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm sure he would know someone tho, Tom is the man!

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Bay area, California
I bought a Hermanns hatchling from Tortoisesupply.com and the Tort arrived the next day happy and healthy. I would definitely recommended them

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
Great!!! I've been reading more about different tortoise suppliers (on the tortoise forum obviously :) ) and I read good things about Tortoise supply and Tortoise yard. Does any body know any thing about these?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I got my Hermann's from Tortoise Supply. My tort arrived promptly and has been healthy and active from day one. They have answered all my emails very quickly, both before and after sending my tort. They are top notch. They are also members if this forum and are widely regarded as really good folks- I used them because of the referrals from this forum and am very glad I did. I plan to use them again.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would use Arizona Tortoise Compound, Las Vegas Tortoise Supply or a known breeder on this forum.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
WOW! It sounds like tortoise supply is the way to go!

Thank you, all of you for the great info! I'll hopefully be getting my tortoise in just a few months! :)
I'll make sure to post pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.