Best lamp for my aldabra closed chamber

JWiediyanto

I am going to make a closed chamber for my aldabra. I don't know what kind of lamp that I need to use. The size of it is 47inch x24inch x32inch. I am just wondering if you guys can help me figure the best lamp for my aldabra's closed chamber. I need a UVA and UVB lamp but if you guys know lamp that contains both UVA and UVB I would love to buy it. I hope hat you guys can write the brand of the lamp and the watt of the lamp.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosure seems a little small for an Aldabra. Most that I have seen are at least 4 inches when sold. I'm also not sure if an Aldabra can be kept in a closed chamber. I would talk with ALDABRAMAN. Toms threads of the closed chamber is for sulcatas and leopards. RedFoot are more prone to shell rot and fungus, and even though they need a higher humidity,they have to have it in a way that the top layers of substrate is dry. I'm not sure if Aldabras could handle the closed chamber even though they need a higher humidity too. I would for sure make the enclosure bigger, will be much easier to regulate the correct temps.

JWiediyanto

@wellington so I need to make a tortoise table or cage like aquarium. I just don't know how to maintain the humidity. Anybody could help? Or can I cover the top part of the cage?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Wellington's tip is very true (my enclosure is smallish so the temps tend to get a bit high, that's not a problem though my tort is recovering from a URI) I don't know a lot about Aldabras but a MVB provides UVA/UVB/Heat, or you can get a heat lamp and some long UVA/UVB tube. NEVER USE COIL BULBS NEVER EVER! They cause problems in the eyes. Hope some more experienced Aldabra tortoise owner comes :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
@wellington so I need to make a tortoise table or cage like aquarium. I just don't know how to maintain the humidity. Anybody could help? Or can I cover the top part of the cage?
What do you mean by cage, a terrarium like this?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405081899.536535.jpg
An actual cage (like this) cannot hold humidity:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405081946.723607.jpg
I can say that you probably mean an aquarium or terrarium.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I believe glass aquariums hold more humidity but less heat and the opposite is true for wooden ones... Just follow the care sheets and you'll be fine :) I'm really hoping some experts to drop in now

JWiediyanto

Me too, I asked aldabraman like 3 days ago but he didn't answer yet. I think he is busy with his aldabra (he has tons of them).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I got my two as hatchlings and they have lived outside their whole lives. I built them an insulated shed, big enough to house them at full grown, and they've lived in the same yard/shed this whole time (14years).

Granted, I've made mistakes with them. They are both pyramided. But I didn't know about humidity/pyramiding 14 years ago. If I did, they still could have lived like they do, but I would have added more humidity inside their shed.

In my opinion, an Aldabran tortoise should never be kept in an aquarium. They need exercise in order to grow right. And GROW they do. Aldabran tortoises grow faster than sulcatas do. If it is at all possible, set your baby up outside with an insulated shed/doghouse/ etc. and add the humidity to the dog house. Give him plenty of outdoor space for exercise.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

JWiediyanto

I can't put them outdoor because of the temperature and the humidity itself. I hope that somebody can post their terrarium or aquarium

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I live in Central California. The weather here is nothing like the Seychelle Islands. But you make do. If you can provide what the tortoise needs in an aquarium, then you can provide those same requirements outside. It's a little harder, but it can be done. I really don't think you can buy a terrarium or aquarium big enough for a baby aldabran tortoise. Like I said, they need a lot of space. If you don't allow them wander room you'll end up with a crippled baby.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I don't think iv seen anybody with an Aldabra in a terrarium or aquarium before. All enclosures I have seen on here are large yards with heated sheds for colder weather

JWiediyanto

What do I need to make the humidity outside higher. The humidity outdoor is like 40%. How can I make it into 80%?

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I wouldn't be experienced enough to give you advice on that. Hopefully someone with the right experience will read and can advise you

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
If you make an insulated area (like a shed), you can control the temperature and humidity with some time and experience:
1- by constant misting with water in the morning
2-a water dish while necessary adds humidity, place a jar of water next to the main heat source to stop it from drying the air while being away from your tort
3-Fill a pan with water and place it on the stove. Turn the burner on, and bring the water to a boil. Leave the boiling water uncovered. The steam will create moisture in the air.
4-Hang laundry inside during the winter. Water will evaporate from the clothes as they dry, releasing moisture into the air.( clothes out too long will grow mold)
5-Use a humidifier. Humidifiers will raise the humidity in the whole room, but they are an excellent way to increase humidity in a growing environment.
6-Install a hygrometer inside the room. This device measure the room's relative temperature, allowing you to determine which techniques are most beneficial.
Sources:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8623753_do-raise-relative-humidity-room.html#page=0
http://www.ehow.com/how_7459822_increase-humidity-home-using-humidifier.html#page=0
http://m.wisegeek.org/what-are-the-best-ways-to-increase-humidity.htm
I'm not that experienced with Aldabras (I don't even have one) but I found this online.... Hope someone experienced shares there experience and opinions about this :)

JWiediyanto

@abdulla Ali the information is really helping.

But I still need experience aldabra owner to tell me how to raise the humidity outside. And I am just wondering if I want to keel it inside what is their minimum area or minimum cage.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
@abdulla Ali the information is really helping.

But I still need experience aldabra owner to tell me how to raise the humidity outside. And I am just wondering if I want to keel it inside what is their minimum area or minimum cage.
I don't think you can change the humidity outside unless it's closed, It is impossible if it is not closed outside because the humidity we make isn't enough to raise the outside, in a closed area you have more control...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The climate where I live is hot and dry. And yet, when I look at my outdoor temp/humidity gauge, it reads 43%. And that's with no sprinklers on or any water running anyplace.

For my mini rain forest area I have a very thick/tall mulberry tree and under that there are T-posts positioned in a line across the middle of the rain forest. Strung along the top of the T-posts is a 1/2" black drip pipe that has sprinkler-type drip emitters positioned about every 5'. When it gets real hot here I turn on the water feeding the rain forest and the emitters put out a very fine mist of water. This serves two purposes...it cools the rain forest down about 15 degrees, plus it add a whole lot of humidity to the area.

Inside the shed for the rain forest tortoises I have moistened cypress mulch on the floor and a vinyl strip door over the door. The strip door keeps the moist air inside.

Have you tested your outdoor humidity? Test it dry, then run sprinklers and test it again.

747117wei24kafiu.gif