Do you have to use a "DOME" style fixture for CHE or Flood in the closed. chamber?

Leothetort*2021

Location (City and/or State)
KENTUCKY
Hi all . Building a new closed chamber for my Leopard tortoise. Enclosure is a 5' by 2' . Torty is 8 months old. My questions is the lighting fixtures. Do I have to use a "dome" style for the Che and or the 65W flood? OR can I just use the Ceramic socket only? I'm using the recommended T5 HO lamp/hood style UVB . Just wondering about the humidity being an issue OPEN style fixture? I have seen photos with the "cage" style and CHE and a bulb exposed in a closed chamber but didn't know if this was acceptable or safe for this environment habitat Thanks in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all . Building a new closed chamber for my Leopard tortoise. Enclosure is a 5' by 2' . Torty is 8 months old. My questions is the lighting fixtures. Do I have to use a "dome" style for the Che and or the 65W flood? OR can I just use the Ceramic socket only? I'm using the recommended T5 HO lamp/hood style UVB . Just wondering about the humidity being an issue OPEN style fixture? I have seen photos with the "cage" style and CHE and a bulb exposed in a closed chamber but didn't know if this was acceptable or safe for this environment habitat Thanks in advance.
Totally fine to use a flush mounted ceramic socket. I mount mine with these "Plastic Round Boxes" to give a little offset and protect the ceiling from excessive heat.
IMG_5469.JPG
IMG_5470.JPG
IMG_5596.JPG

Leothetort*2021

KENTUCKY
Thank you Tom. I was just worried about the closed chamber having 80% Humidity causing problems with breakage of the CHE and flood. Enclosure is customized plexi/glass

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thank you Tom. I was just worried about the closed chamber having 80% Humidity causing problems with breakage of the CHE and flood. Enclosure is customized plexi/glass
The humidity is not a concern with the fixture as Tom mounts and not at all with the bulbs - incandescent or CHE. The CHE is pretty much bullet-proof and should last years and years. I like to use a dome and be able to easily move / change fixtures. Either dome or flush mount works fine if you are sure to use a ceramic fixture for the CHE. But you need enough height in your enclosure to do that. You want the CHE as high as possible to avoid a hot spot directly under it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking this thread may be confusing "closed chamber" and "heated night boxes".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm thinking this thread may be confusing "closed chamber" and "heated night boxes".
I can see how that might be perceived that way. Thanks for pointing this out.

I used a pic of my outdoor night box to demonstrate, but the same info applies to indoor closed chambers.