Closed chamber interior lighting?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I am getting ready to put together a closed chamber for my future tort babies. I would like to place the light and heating elements inside the chamber but am concerned about the high humidity (that I must have) affecting the electronics and possibly causing safety issues. Is there a specific type (please specify brands and models) I need or are Zoo Med CHEs with safety covers and Reptisun 5.0 UVB bulbs sufficient?

My goal is to have my closed chamber up and running with the proper temperature gradients and humidity established before I bring any wee ones into my home.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I never used the bulb you mentioned so can't help on that. The CHE, I don't know of anyone that has had a problem with them and high humidity. Just be sure to use the light fixture that have a ceramic or porcelain socket. You can get them at most hardware stores or Home Depot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no problem running all that in a closed chamber. The heat generated by them dries them out too. Even in a closed chamber, it tends to be very dry right around the heat lamps.

When you say Reptisun 5.0, are you talking about the long tube type or the coil type? The coil types can burn their eyes and should not be used. The tube type 5.0 bulbs give off almost no UV and the animal needs to be no farther than 10-12" from the bulb to get any benefit from it.

For most species the 10.0 tubes, or even better the T5 HO bulbs are much more practical and effective.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm going to post some pics in a couple of days...but short version...I am keeping the ITs in closed chambers with no light at all...only a Reptile Basics RHP. The temps and humidity are perfect! They just turned a month old today and they've been spending an hour or so outdoors every other day (on subsequent days, they're out only long enough to soak)...so (the rest of the time) they don't need any light per se. When I move them to the BoaMaster CC...I might add a fluorescent light...but I'm still grappling with that one! The whole point (for me) is to mimic a burrow for the first year...at least!

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
There is no problem running all that in a closed chamber. The heat generated by them dries them out too. Even in a closed chamber, it tends to be very dry right around the heat lamps.

When you say Reptisun 5.0, are you talking about the long tube type or the coil type? The coil types can burn their eyes and should not be used. The tube type 5.0 bulbs give off almost no UV and the animal needs to be no farther than 10-12" from the bulb to get any benefit from it.

For most species the 10.0 tubes, or even better the T5 HO bulbs are much more practical and effective.
I was talking about the long tube type lights. I'll look at those other lights you mentioned. I have about $25 more to spend on Amazon and see about getting some of those. Thanks.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I just ordered Zoo Med's T5 HO terrarium hood. The next things I will need to get are a hide or two, terra cotta plant saucers, and some little plants for the chamber. I ordered two hygrometer/thermometer combos so that I could place one at each end of the chamber. I need to start contacting veterinarians as well though, according to the vet list on this website, I'm going to have a lot of choices.