Using grass plugs in enclosure

Camcam

Location (City and/or State)
Coram, NY
Hello all,

I want to plant some grasses directly into the substrate of my enclosure and I’ve been looking into getting some St. Augustine and Bermuda grass plugs but I worried that they might be treated with chemicals and not necessarily safe for my sulcata. Can anyone tell me if they’ve had any luck with grass plugs?

If this isn’t advisable, does anyone know a good site to buy these types of grass seed that would be free of any harmful chemicals? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Indoors? It won't live. Grass needs strong lighting, plus nutrient rich soil, and you won't have either of those indoors. Even if you did, your tortoise would simply eat or trample it.

Store bought plugs are likely to be full of chemicals. You are right to be concerned about that. Don't buy grass seed from a hardware or garden store. Buy it from a place that sells seed intended for pastures, where animals will be eating it. I like this one: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/AfricanGrazerMix They sell several other great mixes too. You can grow them in pots in a sunny window area in winter, or outside in springtime. I grow it all outside and cut it to feed to the tortoises.

Camcam

Coram, NY
Thank you for the response and the link! We were feeding Harold from our lawn but we can get some pretty snowy winters and I was concerned that we would lose his best source of food. Plus, I’m not sure Bermuda or St. Augustine will grow this far North, we’re on Long Island.
I converted part of my garage into a nursery with grow lights and temperature/humidity control. Maybe instead of growing directly in the substrate I’ll try growing a sod plot and just harvest it for him.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just get some rye grass seed (Also called cat grass) grow in a shallow pan then transfer to the enclosure. It grows very fast

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the response and the link! We were feeding Harold from our lawn but we can get some pretty snowy winters and I was concerned that we would lose his best source of food. Plus, I’m not sure Bermuda or St. Augustine will grow this far North, we’re on Long Island.
I converted part of my garage into a nursery with grow lights and temperature/humidity control. Maybe instead of growing directly in the substrate I’ll try growing a sod plot and just harvest it for him.
No sod. Lots of chemicals and also that plastic netting that holds it together.

I don't know about the St. Augustine or Bermuda that far north either, but I'll bet your local nursery does. Worth and ask for grass seed recommendations.

@Blackdog1714 idea is a great one. You can grow several matching trays of different things. Move the substrate out of the way and place the first tray flat on the bottom of the enclosure. Then move the substrate back all around it. When they are done grazing/trampling that tray, you can swap it out for the next one, which will fit right into the same opening. While they eat the next few trays, the first can recover and re-grow. Grow enough trays, and you'll never have to "feed" your tortoise. Its a great Idea that I've always wanted to pursue more, but I don't have a growing operation like yours.