Ben likes elder!

Archerman

With the weather in Scotland finally warm enough (almost) to let them out for a roam for a while, I have hit a possible problem. While one of my leopards will happily mow the lawn, the other, Ben has a passion for any fallen elder leaves he can find. I know that according to the Tortoise Table list it is poisonous but I have very little way of stopping him getting a few, are they likely to be harmful in small amounts as the only real option I have would be to not let him out which I'd rather not stop but would if it's the only solution? Advice!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I've wondered if they are smart enough to avoid bad plants. I watch mine go around certain weeds and plants to eat others, so some I have to believe they may taste the edler but realize it isn't good and avoid it. It is probably not a problem in small amounts, however, that is just my uneducated guess.

Archerman

Thanks for the replies. Netting is unfortunately not an option as they have the freedom of the garden when they are out. I would normally agree with Greg as both they and the others, never normally seem to try eat things they shouldn't, one bite and then off to find something nicer. That is why the elder leaves are a surprise. He does seem to go for the drier ones rather than fresh so maybe they change somehow. Anyway no worries today, it's back to typical Scottish summer weather ..... pouring and a toasty 10c, so everyone indoors ;)