right things for my tortoise?

littleleo

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara
I was just curious if any of these two would benefit my baby leopard tortoise. He is only 3 months old and I provide him with his calcium D3 already. I am just unsure if he is getting the right nutrition. I feed him cactus pads, orchard grass hay, and lawn grass every morning.

Also, I live in Santa Barbara, about a 5 minute walk from the beach. Would it be okay to let him roam outside in the grass if it is going to be about 83 tomorrow with a slight cool breeze? The lawn gets watered by recycled water and I don't think it has pesticides. I never see anyone spraying the plants here. Any tips would be great. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    460.9 KB · Views: 11

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There is such a thing as overdoing the vitamins; too much will make your tort sick.

A small pinch of calcium a couple of times a week is all that's needed.

Your tort makes its own Vitamin D, just like you do, with exposure to UVB either from a lamp, or from exposure to natural daylight.

Your tort needs only a variety of foodstuffs with the calcium supplement as described - it doesn't need more artificial vitamin supplements as well.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm the type of person that if not one hundred percent sure no chemicals ars being used I don'trisk it. If you're not 100% sure I wouldn't risk it either.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I agree with DMMJ. I would not take the chance on the lawn unless you are sure. I also would not let your tort "free roam"...no matter how careful you are, accidents happen. Make sure to build some type of safe outdoor enclosure if you haven't already. 83 degrees is fine, make sure the tort has access to both shade and sun. The herptivite vitamins are something I use. I alternate between that and the calcium. I do each once a week in the summer and when the torts aren't outside as much I do the calcium twice a week.