Bella came out of hibernation a few dyas ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
I live in "Northern AZ" it usually very cold this time of year but the weather is all screwy and it been warm. I soaked er well and she released a big blob of white paste...I've read up on it here it she never done this before....she's eating well, but ya know, the things is people say leave them alone, but Bella had always followed me around outside and now every time she sees me she is clawing at the sides of the container where ever i am.....if I move towards the other side..she goes to that side, she actually acts like she's lonely

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I have read on here that a lot of the turts/torts are coming out if hibernation early...the weather is wacky isnt it?....no rain in some parts...we had rain in the Bay Area 4 times since October.

Bella probably missed you during hibernation :D

TOK DADDY

5 Year Member
Arizona
I live in the Phoenix area and 2 of mine came out a couple of days ago. I also felt it was because of this "screwy" weather.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
She expelled more of that white pasty stuff today, not much....I'm concerned about her diet, Here in Winslow...this time of year, I can "only" get the bagged "Spring Mix"...I can get fresh Mustard's.....no collard greens or any other fresh anything....I do have the little nuggets....can't remember the name of them, I put them in warm water and mix them in her food about once a week....is that too much, not enough? I'm worried about her, She "Never" expelled that white paste before.....why now?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The white paste (urates) are a normal thing for that species of tortoise emerging from brumation.....I would suggest you soak her every day for at least a week...also offer her some food items a bit higher in water content along with the spring mix (such as a bit of cucumber or pumpkin) also raddichio and also they sell a great organic herb mix that you may be able to find (I don't know what items you have available in your area) you want to get some food into her as soon as she shows interest....sometimes they come out...you warm em up...and they are hungry right away..others take sometimes a few days to show any food consumption interest...however...hydration is of the utmost importance emerging from brumation along with a slow steady warm up....
:D

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Oh she's eating like a little piglet.....I just can't get anything other bagged stuff and for right now fresh mustard, sure will be nice to have back out in her enclosure....I feel so bad for her

Status
Not open for further replies.