Beginner

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
Hi. I'm new to this. I am planning on getting a sulcata. I do not have one at this time because I want to learn to care for it before hand. I have been reading almost everything I can find on this and after doing so I have decided the best thing would b to forget what the pet shops and reptile supply manufactures say to do and actually speak to people that are/have raised happy, healthy sulcata tortoise.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Amanda welcome to the TFO from AZ . Just remember they get big and live along time . Have agreat tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Oh yes I am aware of this. I have a backyard that's about an acre, acre and half that I am planning on turning into an enclosure once it's big enough and I will of course make arrangements for it's care when I can no longer do so. I an on getting a hatchling and I want to build it a indoor home while it's small. Of course I will take it outside when weather allows, but I have a lot of questions about the proper indoor house for it. I understand the bigger the better and I have an idea of how to make it. My questions are about the lighting and such. Is this the proper place on here to ask those questions?

yillt

To to enclosure section and in there is a lighting section. I am glad you came on here to research first. Sulcatas can be VERY HARD WORK. But they have great personalitys. When are you thinking of getting one? :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda, and welcome to the forum!!

We have a very good article for the beginner tortoise keeper at the top of the http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-and-turtle-articles.114/ section entitled "Beginner Mistakes."

And then at the top of the http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/sulcata-tortoises.88/ section there are several good reads for your perusal. I especially like the one "How to Raise a Healthy Sulcata or Leopard."

Happy Reading! And good job on doing your research prior to getting the tortoise.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
To to enclosure section and in there is a lighting section. I am glad you came on here to research first. Sulcatas can be VERY HARD WORK. But they have great personalitys. When are you thinking of getting one? :)
I want to learn all the care info, get a enclosure made, set up and stable before I bring one home.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Thank you. I have been reading a lot of your post over last couple weeks. I have learned a lot from them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your biggest challenge will be how to house him during your frozen winters once he's too big to be indoors. They are a very active species and they are tropical (meaning they don't hibernate and need warm temps year round). How do you provide a giant walking area that needs to be 80 degrees plus a large warmer basking spot to a 150 pound 30" tropical tortoise when there is snow outside?

That should be the question you answer BEFORE you buy a sulcata baby.

Here are some links for you:
Read this one BEFORE you buy:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

How to raise them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

How to feed them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

What NOT to do:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I have thought about this because he will eventually out grow the house. I have an insulated storage building outside I can set up for him and if that seems like it won't do I also have a spare bedroom I can turn into a winter home for him. I have checked into getting the walls and floors done so it will b tortoise safe. Would one or both these ideas work? I am wanting to figure all this out so I don't get a little guy and get attached and then in a few years have to rehome it due to my ignorance. I am not the type to get an animal and then rehome later on. If I get something I plan on keeping it till death, it's part the family, not just an animal.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome Amanda...where are you from?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
Admirable attitude towards, I wish more people had it.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Salutations.
Admirable attitude towards, I wish more people had it.
Thank you. I take being an pet owner seriously. If I'm going to b responsible for something I want to make sure I am doing the very best I can do. It's not acceptable to just say, well I didn't know any better, and then because of that another living creature has to live in less then great conditions. I try and provide the best living conditions as possible, this is why I want to make extra sure I know and have all the things I need to before I find my perfect little tortoise.