Beginner looking for info

shade

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
i got tordy a hermann tortoise 6 days ago he/she about 5 months old. pet shop sold me glass enclosure. i see this is bad so want opinion on happy home terrarium http://www.bigappleherp.com/Happy-Home-Terrarium-for-Box-Turtles-Tortoises_2

using zilla jungle mix fir and sphagnum peat moss also sold by pet shop

i soak em everyday. he eats good. spring mix and kale ( mazuri an others on order ) and drinks from dish

IMG_1784.JPG IMG_1801.JPG IMG_1815.JPG IMG_1782.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
NO, NO, and then NO!!! What you have there is a beautiful arrangement for a baby Hermanni tortoise. Pleas DO NOT waste your money on that so called "Happy Home." It's not fit for a turtle or tortoise of any kind. That's a cage for a little rodent.

Your vivarium is great! You can moisten the substrate and cover the top, keeping the warm air inside. This makes for a happy, healthy baby! I just have one little suggestion for you. That type of screen filters out a good portion of the beneficial UV rays from your UVB light. Figure out a way to cut out the screen for the UV light.

Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have another Hermanni tortoise-keeper on our Forum. If you haven't already found it, go take a look at the pinned threads at the top of the Hermanni section. One of our members wrote a very nice care sheet for your perusal.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So cute! Your enclosure is very nice. The disk thing though for temp and humidity is worse than worthless. Get a digital thermometer that reads both. Accurite has small ones for around $10. You can find them at home depot or Wal-Mart.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on an adorable tortoise!

shade

Ohio
seems im off to a good start. digital thermometer on the list to buy for next month. tordy got me broke this month :)

shade

Ohio
Hi and welcome. What a cutie. I'm in ohio too. :)

hi and thanks for the warm welcome here. im N.W.Ohio waiting for summer. neighbor always has a nice flowerbed tordy will have fun in there :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just make sure you neighbor doesn't use chemicals in their flowerbed.

shade

Ohio
Just make sure you neighbor doesn't use chemicals in their flowerbed.

agree but was joking on neighbor's flowerbed. i will grow my own for tordy tho i never have grown stuff

shade

Ohio
NO, NO, and then NO!!! What you have there is a beautiful arrangement for a baby Hermanni tortoise. Pleas DO NOT waste your money on that so called "Happy Home." It's not fit for a turtle or tortoise of any kind. That's a cage for a little rodent.

Your vivarium is great! You can moisten the substrate and cover the top, keeping the warm air inside. This makes for a happy, healthy baby! I just have one little suggestion for you. That type of screen filters out a good portion of the beneficial UV rays from your UVB light. Figure out a way to cut out the screen for the UV light.

Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have another Hermanni tortoise-keeper on our Forum. If you haven't already found it, go take a look at the pinned threads at the top of the Hermanni section. One of our members wrote a very nice care sheet for your perusal.

thanks for info i did read glass was bad. i was feeling so bad i put tordy in it. ill work on lighting

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, that's really more personal opinion, than fact. And also old school. Most often people used to say there was no air exchange or the glass causes the tortoise distress because he can't walk through it. If your tortoise worrys at the glass all you have to do is wrap a bit of paper around the bottom edge so he can't see out. And as for air exchange? What you want is to keep the warm, moist air inside. You don't want air exchange. And it refreshes every time you open the lid or take off the cover.

(Sorry for not 'getting' your flowerbed joke. Sometimes I'm a bit dense)