Substrate

jamie.lynn1121

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
I was just wondering how often everyone changes their substrate? Currently I’ve been doing it every other day trying to find what substrate holds humidity the most.

I started out by using loose coconut fiber mixed with fir and sphagnum peat moss. Then I switched to using soaked coconut fiber still with the sphagnum peat moss but added terrarium moss (natural sphagnum moss) on top. Today I am thinking about picking up potting mix to try (as recommended by others). I am currently misting the substrate 2-4 times a day it just dries out so fast!

If anyone has any recommendations on substrate to try or what they think holds humidity the best please let me know I am willing to try anything!

I also have purchased a humid hut that should be coming in in a few days and I will be covering part of the top of the enclosure to help hold humidity in.

Thank you so much ahead of time! I appreciate all the help from everyone :)View attachment 229388

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use fine grade orchid bark and I only change it when the inhabitant is moved out of the enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . that's usually a year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer coco coir for babies and fine grade orchid bark for older ones.

I would not use bought in a bag soil because you cannot know what composted plants it is made of, or what lawn chemicals were sprayed on those plants before composting.

The reason you are having humidity trouble is not because of the substrate. It is because of the open topped low sided enclosure. Sadly, those tortoise houses are not good for any tortoise of any size. The design is too open for babies and too small for adults, and the hiding area is much too large.

I would not use that sphagnum moss because most of them will eat it and it can cause an impaction.

Your water bowl should be replaced with a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate.

If you are using a cfl bulb in the double hood, I'd turn it off ASAP and replace it with something safer and more effective.

Give these a read through. It explains all of this and more:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/