$30 =big changes in my enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kugti

5 Year Member
So i took a trip to home depot today and ended up with a lot for the $30 i spent.

I bought 3 cubit feet of sphagnum peat moss
2 cubic feet of cypress mulch mix
8 petunia
8 begonia
8 alyssum
4 bags of assorted spring seeds
1 awesome feeding rock/tile large 1/2 square foot

I started by lining my wooden box with trashbags.
Then i mixed sphagnum peat moss, sphagnum moss, and cypress mulch together as my base.
Then I planted everything including a few plants I already had that I was growing from seedlings and terrarium plants I had purchased before. I also installed a potting plant to hide in and the tile.
Then i covered everything on the surface with more mixed cypress mulch and watered the crap out of everything. (4000 ml of water.)

I couldn't be happier, within 30 seconds of introducing tortellini to his upgraded home he ate an entire plant and a half and then went exploring.

Big thanks to terryo for her advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Rjhoop said:
Hmm,looks great but i thought we were supposed to wait before feeding plants flowers bought at stores?

In a perfect world, yes you would wait. By not waiting you could expose your animal to chemicals and poisons. How much danger there is, is up for debate. I also judge by if it is an animal who is known to eat plants or not. Plus the bigger the animal, usually the less the chance of danger.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wow that looks great! Isn't Lowes wonderful to shop for tortoise supplies?

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
I have found that MVB bulbs kill plants pretty quickly, please post updates, let us know how long they last.

kugti

5 Year Member
MVB hasnt done any damage to the plants yet. I have added many new plants and tons of seeds, im not expecting to see anything on the ground but seedlings and plants in the next few weeks lol.

The only thing im dealing with is i think my little guy has a RI. : (

More pics to come soon, im dealing with graduating college this week before I start my real job a week from today so things are a bit hectic at the moment.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Don't feel bad. Every morning I put Solo out and he has loads of good stuff to eat, but he sits on the food stone waiting for me to feed him. I clip some of the little strouts from the Spring mix seeds, and put them on the food stone, and then he eats them.
Why do you think your tort has a RI? Post some pictures.
My son is graduating college this coming week too. Congrats to you!!

kugti

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Don't feel bad. Every morning I put Solo out and he has loads of good stuff to eat, but he sits on the food stone waiting for me to feed him. I clip some of the little strouts from the Spring mix seeds, and put them on the food stone, and then he eats them.
Why do you think your tort has a RI? Post some pictures.
My son is graduating college this coming week too. Congrats to you!!

Only sometimes, when he retracts into his shell I can here him wheeze as he exhales, but its not consistent. He also doesn't have any other signs of an RI like glazed eyes, and he is eating fine.

I see my seeds starting to barely sprout its going to be a forest in like 2 weeks. Im pretty much out of room to "plant" anything else at this point and after I graduate I will start building his nice table and probably get more intense with everything.

Thanks im exciting about graduating, I am starting the police academy one week from today.

Status
Not open for further replies.