Before RES comes home

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.may

5 Year Member
Before I go out and purchase a turtle on a whim, I've tried to do some research, but I find myself more confused about the necessities. So far I know that I need a tank that is large enough for a swimming area, a basking area, a water heater and a filter. I was assured by the lovely sales associate at the pet store that 55g will suit my needs. She also encouraged me to buy small decorative pebble, and that he/she can chow down on gold fish as a part of his/her regular diet. I've come to learn these aren't brilliant ideas so I'm questioning her authority on the subject. So I've given myself a month of prep time and I would be especially appreciative if someone could provide me with a basic list of what I'll need to provide a happy home for my new buddy. Any advice or tricks of the trade would be amazing as well! Thanks in advance ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi james.may:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where you are?

Well, the pet shop wasn't too far off in what they told you. In my opinion, a red ear slider can live in an aquarium for the first few years, but (again, IN MY OPINION) when it gets to be full grown, it would be much better off outside in some sort of pond. Don't get me wrong...many, many people have pet turtles in the house in aquariums. It is quite do-able.

Red ear sliders are well-known for eating their substrate. So I don't like to have "mouth-sized" pebbles for substrate. But everything else they told you is ok. I like a good canister filter...one that sits outside the tank. I think that for turtles, these work best.

And, yes, they can eat goldfish, but I don't think they should have them all the time. Red ears, when older, will eat veggies, bits of fruit, trout chow, live food like crickets and worms. They'll eat just about everything.

Just keep in mind that RES get quite large, especially females, and if you feel the turtle well, it only takes 3 or 4 years for that to happen. A 55 gallon tank isn't big enough for a full grown RES.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Welcome. It's great you're here to learn before getting one. It's also great you're thinking about RES. have you considered adopting one instead? Theres plenty at rescues looking for homes. I have one RES myself. I believe they get quite large up to about the size of a dinner plate 8-12 inches at full adult size. Some people would recommend an even larger tank than a 55 gallon for an adult, even a pond, but I think you will be okay for awhile if you get one that is smaller.

There's was a quite informative thread here about feeder fish, you can search for it, I believe Kristina posted it. There's also some debate over use of gravel, sand and rocks with them because they have ingested it, which may help some digestion, or it may not and pose a hazard.

Anyway, have a look around and you'll learn a lot.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Hello!

I just wanted to say good for you for taking the time to research first! :D Far too many people impulse buy and regret it later or the turtle ends up suffering because of it.

I agree with the info that the others have given. We use an in tank Zoo Med filter, but honestly, I think I may adding a second as it's not quite keeping up. It's works well enough, but could be better. I personally have never fed fish. We have always done fine without it. I also don't like to keep gravel. I debated the idea with my new RES since gravel was already in my tank from my previous inhabitants, but in the end I took it all out. It was just too messy and I didn't want to worry about her eating it.

We have our full grown female in a 55 gallon tank. She seems fine for now...plenty of room to swim, turn, bask, etc... but I'm hoping to give her a bigger home in the future. She was a rescue turtle and was in a 2 gallon tank before, so this is a huge improvement.

Good luck and enjoy your new turtle when you get him/her! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.