RES tank smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvToGoFast

5 Year Member
I searched for an answer to this, but couldn't find one. I have one RES(about 4") in a 10g tank. I know it is too small but it will be a month before i can get my 55g setup up and running. He has been in the tank for about a 2 months, and the tank has an unpleasant odor that comes and goes. I do a 30%-40% water change at lease weekly, if not biweekly.
I use a Exo Terra Flo 350 filter. I tried to feed him outside of the tank to reduce the waste, but i cant get him to eat outside.
Sometimes I notice the smell when i get home and come into my apartment, sometimes not. Most of the time i can smell it when i get close to the tank, but not always. Its less when i change the water, of course.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Michael

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would suggest a 100% water change once a week until you get him into his new digs....remember, this species are the goldfish of the turtle world...messy little buggers....:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Agree w/ Ascott...aquatic turtles, in general, are stinky little devils...just the nature of the beast.

Another thing you can do is get an Air-wick and set it near his tank, it'll help a lot. And keep trying to teach him to eat in a seperate tank/tub/whatever...he'll learn it eventually.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I add PondCare Ecofix bacteria pond clarifier to my musk turtle tank whenever I do a partial or complete water change and that solved the problem of the water having a stinky spell. I would notice that after doing a complete water change a few days later the water would be clear but have an odor. From what I was told when doing a partial water change or a complete one the chlorine in the water kills the good bacteria and allows the bad bacteria to grow. I get my PondCare chemicals from Pet Mountain.com as they have very good prices on all their items. :D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah your tanks small for the bio load, you should be doin more water changes. I have a 40 gallon for 2 musk turtles and I do 10 percent water change every day if not every other day for sure.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
From what I was told when doing a partial water change or a complete one the chlorine in the water kills the good bacteria and allows the bad bacteria to grow

Absolutely a de chlorinator should be used in any new water added to the turtle tank...the de chlorinators usually will also offer up some new slime for their skin to help when the water is newly changed...so a couple benefits from that type of product :D

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
If you're serious about your turtle tank an external sump type filter with mechanical and biological filtration works great. It's a prett similar set-up that a lot of marine aquarium guys use. Don't drill on a 55 though because the glass on them is typically tempered.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sumps or canister filters work great. Sumps are nice they are easier to maintain in my opinion, my canister I have going now is a DIY and it works pretty good,

Pictures if the 55 when you get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.