Hmmmm, RES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
We did a water change, gave Gunther a new floating basking area, and gave cuttlebone for the first time. The basking area is much larger than than the old one, and now allows her to turn around without hitting the glass. Also allows her to sit on it completely without having part of the basking surface (and her) in the water. It doesn't dip with her weight. It's also closer to the heat source by about an inch or two. We added a few decorative rocks and plastic plants.

She ate the cuttlebone voraciously (about a quarter to almost a third of it). But since that first day, hasn't eaten anymore. I took it out yesterday. We changed the water last week and gave the new basking area and cuttlebone over this past weekend.

Since the day we did all this, she sits on her basking area MUCH LONGER. Sometimes for 5-6 hours. Before it was intermittantly through the day, but averaging about 3 hours at a time. She also never slept on it at night with her red heat lamp. She always slept in the water. Now she sleeps on the basking area at night. She seems much more lazy. She does eat, but she doesn't come swimming when we shake her pellets in the jar. She used to hear it, and if she were on her rock, she'd jump in the water and come swim to us.

The thermometer says the water temp is about 70-72. It's always said that, though. So not sure if that's broken. Even the new ones constantly say that. We don't have a water heater, as I've read the res's can adapt to most water temps.

I'm concerned that it may be the cuttlebone, as she's never had it before. My husband says she now feels more comfortable on the larger basking area so she stays there.

Her shell is still flaking off. Not soft anymore (never was spongy, but soft to the touch, but not sinking-your-finger-into-the-shell soft)

Again, she does swim around, she does eat, just not like she did before.

Any suggestions?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
This is also hibernation time for Res so she may just be slowing down for the winter.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Should I do anything for hibernation? Will she wake to eat? When should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.