RES with neck wound. Help!

MarzBarz

Location (City and/or State)
Prescott, AZ
Hi there! So I have 3 RES and 1 map turtle living in a pond together, I noticed one of the RES had a wound this morning. I've been out of town so I do not know when this happened and before I left I didn't notice a wound. It looks really bad but she doesn't seem fased by it as she was eating a fish when I noticed it. There are only a few vets in my area that see turtles, none on Saturday or Sunday. I just need help doctoring her until Monday.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm going to try an attach images

20171021_104829.jpg 20171021_104852.jpg . 20171021_104829.jpg 20171021_104852.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I can't see your pictures,but it sounds like a mating injury . The make will bite the back if the neck . So you may need to move the female to a new enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks like some kind of infection or fungus going on. Put some antibiotic cream on it. I do think you might need to see a vet for antibiotics meds. However, you could treat for a couple days with the antibiotic cream first to see if it improves.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, keep her by herself until she heals.

How big is the pond? With three res and a paint, it needs to be pretty big Or the water quality will be poor which could even be the cause of this problem. If the pond is big enough, you might need to bump up filtration and/or water changes. Res specially can be very dirty and they get very large.

MarzBarz

Prescott, AZ
Thank you both. I have her separate for now and will continue to do so. The pond is 250 gal (it's a horse trough) and we just put a new filer in there about 3 weeks ago that has been helping alot and keeping the water clear. I was told to dry doc her for several hours then put her back in water (not the pond, a tote) what are your thoughts? I did yesterday and feel like the wound looks alot better. I just feel bad for her. Thanks again :)

Marlee-

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would keep her by herself and warm inside your house for now in a sterlite plastic tub with a cover (a few small holes in the top for air) and a very small amount of water, say 1 inch of water at the bottom, and I would use either neosporin cream on the affected area or silvadene (silver sulfadiazine) but this last one may need a prescription from your vet, and you will be going there anyway. Good luck! Keep us informed.