Mulch or dirt??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aidan ❤️

Location (City and/or State)
Chesapeake, Virginia
I’ve had my female Russian tort for about two years and I’ve bounced (safely) around about 7-8 beddings. At first, I had Guinnea pigs and I got the tort as a surprise so I used some wood shavings that I used for my Guinnea pigs and it worked temporarily. Then I got mulch shavings and different types and everything. I was still on the voyage for the perfect burrowing bedding. After 4 types of mulch, my pockets were empty so I tried sand. It worked pretty well and that’s where I’m at now. What’s the best bedding!?!?

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs,CO
I’ve had my female Russian tort for about two years and I’ve bounced (safely) around about 7-8 beddings. At first, I had Guinnea pigs and I got the tort as a surprise so I used some wood shavings that I used for my Guinnea pigs and it worked temporarily. Then I got mulch shavings and different types and everything. I was still on the voyage for the perfect burrowing bedding. After 4 types of mulch, my pockets were empty so I tried sand. It worked pretty well and that’s where I’m at now. What’s the best bedding!?!?
Welcome to the forum! I would go with neither of these options. The best substrate is fine grade orchard bark, it holds in humidity, is not an impaction risk, and does not create dust or have a smell like some mulches. Read this care sheet...