Bearded dragon Vs. leopard geckos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlesrule101

5 Year Member
I either going to get a bearded dragon or a few leopard geckos. What are the main differences between them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Diurnal vs. nocturnal. Big vs. small. Omnivore vs. insectivore. UV is much more important for beardies and beardies need a much larger enclosure too.

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Diurnal vs. nocturnal. Big vs. small. Omnivore vs. insectivore. UV is much more important for beardies and beardies need a much larger enclosure too.

What Tom said is perfect. Beardies are a tiny bit more to deal with because of the lighting and the larger cage. But it has always seemed to me that bearded dragons are much more acclimated to vein handled than a leopard gecko. I own a Leo and love her. I almost got a beardie but decided not to. They are both great. It's hard for me to give one or the other Bc they are both so great!

bmt123

5 Year Member
Leopard geckos will hide more and don't have as much personality they are also not as handiladle but they also do not need as much equipment and are not as expensive. But that is just my opinion

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Leopard gecko. I've had mine for many, many years and have NEVER had a health problem with her! Although, my friend got a beardie a couple of years ago and it died about a month later from parasites. Im not sure if it is common, or just a complete fluke, but it was so sad...

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The differences are exactly what Tom said.

Other than that, it's personal preference and what you're looking for. I prefer the leopard gecko. I find them to be very handleable (I don't know why others are saying different?). Like the poster above, I have seen many beardies have health problems when young. As long as leopard geckos are given the correct care, they are pretty hardy. As for personality, I love the geckos personalities. They are not the most active lizards in the world, but they are adoreable and sweet. I've never been a beardie fan myself.

The differences are exactly what Tom said.

Other than that, it's personal preference and what you're looking for. I prefer the leopard gecko. I find them to be very handleable (I don't know why others are saying different?). Like the poster above, I have seen many beardies have health problems when young. As long as leopard geckos are given the correct care, they are pretty hardy. As for personality, I love the geckos personalities. They are not the most active lizards in the world, but they are adoreable and sweet. I've never been a beardie fan myself.

ianedward1

5 Year Member
Georgia
I have had both at some point. The gecko was a temporary rescue and I got my beardie from a breeder a few weeks ago. From my experience, beards are much more interactive and curious than leopard geckos. My beardie loves to constantly watch what is happening outside his cage and gets extremely excited during feeding times. He also has no problems being taken out of his cage and held. Leopard Geckos typically are much less energetic. They can be just a friendly but their handling times will be limited to late evening hours. If you wish for a lower maintenance pet then go with a gecko. If you want more personal, active pets then chose a beardie

That is also assuming money is not a problem. A Bearded Dragon from a professional breeder can cost as much as an entire Leopard Gecko set up (Gecko included)! Not even adding up the amount for heating and enclosure

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I have a whole family of albino geckos tha live on my front porch.... at last count I think there are 8.

these guys dont need any special care that I can see... just lots-o-bugs from the front light! and I find there little eggs EVEYWHERE! (just cleaned my garage this weekend!) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.