Beak problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Everyone!

Since a couple of weeks, Hermys beak started to grow on one side and since this week, his beak cracked and now the opening is going toward his eye. His food always get stuck in the opening and when he eats his calcium bone, it looks like the piece of beak wants to fall off. What is bothering me is the opening is near his eye. Can I do something about it, should I bring him to the vet or put oitment?

Thanks you :)

PS I am sorry but the pics are blurry, Hermy wanted to eat the camera, so was not an easy task :rolleyes:

DSCN1278.jpg

DSCN1279.jpg

DSCN1277.jpg

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
You can feed him on a flat rock so it wears his beak down when he eats. You could also provide a cuttlebone (if you don't have one already). But if the beak gets worse, then yes, take him to a vet for a beak trimming.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
He already eats on a piece of slate and he has a cuttlebone. What is worrying me is when he eats, the "crack in the beak" is getting nearer and nearer his eyes.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Isa said:
He already eats on a piece of slate and he has a cuttlebone. What is worrying me is when he eats, the "crack in the beak" is getting nearer and nearer his eyes.

Oh, sorry, I read your question wrong.

You should take him to a vet ASAP. The crack could be getting worse and eventually an infection could take place. I think you should also get him off the slate and on to a plastic food dish. When he eats off the slate his mouth will drag a bit (since slate is more abrasive and creates more friction than a plastic food dish), which may open up the crack even more.
P.S. Don't try any ointment or store-bought medicines unless your vet says it's safe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Isa:

It would help the beak to have the opposite side filed down. Evidently there is pressure from the opposite side causing the cracked side more damage. A qualified tortoise vet would be able to see where its going wrong and file it accordingly. That crack being up near the eye is probably pretty painful for him, but it can heal. I was clipping one of my large tortoises beaks, using a farrier's hoof-clipping tool. Just as I was about to apply strong pressure to the tool, the tortoise jerked away and between us we managed to split his beak right up the middle to his nose. It was VERY painful. But the crack healed in a month or so.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks you so much Yvonne and Tony!

Yvonne, one of my main concerns is we do not have qualified reptile vet specialized with tortoises in Montreal. We have good reptile vets but they are good with snakes! I am scared to bring Hermy to one, but I guess I have no choice. The crack stoped going toward his eye and is now starting to crack toward the side of his face. Poor Hermy :( I hate bringing him to the vet!! Is there some "not to do to a tortoise beak" things I should know about? That way, if I see the vet doing it, I will told him to stop!.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have any answers for you, but I wish you and Hermy the best. Keep us all posted, we're all learning from your experience.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Isa, Hermy will be good as new soon! Hang in there, I hope the vet on Monday can help! I know you must be going crazy! Try not to worry tooooo much! Do these shelled kids have any idea what they put us through? :D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Mary Anne... I try my hardest to not go crazy here. lol you are right, I do not think they know what they put us through lol :D

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
Best wishes to you and Hermy, i know how worrying it can be but i am sure he will be just fine!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I would file down the lower half, then for a period of a few weeks, don't allow him to eat, only force feed him. This would allow the beak to grow back in.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hermy is doing very good :D We went to the vet and what we saw on his beak was a very hard piece of dry skin. So the vet removed it :D Hermy has dry skin on his norstils also so he gave me some bag balm to put on his nose.
Thanks for asking :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.