New piece of skin on beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
The first time I went to the vet, she told me that Hermy's beak was deformed because the lower part is longer the upper part (I think it is cute and that it makes him unique :D) BUT yesterday, I saw that something was different with Hermy's beak. When I looked closer, I saw a new piece of skin on the upper part of his beak. I do not know if it is normal or not?
All comments are welcomed :)

PICT2226.jpg

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I can't see what you are talking about but torts shed and grow new skin. :) Normal! Does he ever have a hard time eating because of this? Trevor's beak squeaks when he drinks because of his bite I think.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Kate,
I am talking of this:

PICT2226-1.jpg

It was not there before, his lips were forming a straight line now there is a curve. When I say a piece of skin, I am talking about a piece of <beak>.
He can eat perfectly, I just do not know why it appears, and I want to make sure it is normal.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I still don't understand-you say piece of skin, then piece of beak. The beak is bone not skin. I still don't see it on the photo anyways. If his beak is growing strangely then that is different than a flap of skin shedding off. It just looks and sounds like skin though.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Opss, I did not explain my self correctly :), sorry. Before I thought it was a piece of skin but after, I touched it and it was hard so I thought that maybe his beak is growing strangely (because it was not there before). I will keep an eye on it.

M

Maggie Cummings

I think if it's hard his beak might be shedding slices of it...does he have cuttlebone?

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
i saw this on one other hermanni last year, what eventually happened was that the beak cracked because of the overgrowth on that side, it put stress on the "V" so the owner did have to have the beak trimmed. is hermy fully matured ?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, it looks as if Hermys beak is growing and because he has an underbite it is causing the upper beak (where you circled) to grow outward. If it is strained or he bites down on something hard it may crack or break off. Torts beaks do this frequently that is how they keep them trimmed and sharp. I would just keep an eye on him and as long as he is eating fine I would not worry. JMHO. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Robyn, Maggie and Spring pace :)
Maggie, yes there is a cuttle bone in his enclosure (but he will not touch it).
Spring pace, no Hermy is not fully matured yet.
Robyn, thanks for the info, he eats on a hard surface (ceramic tile). I will keep an eye on him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.