• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Backwater Reptiles

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Are they okay? Have heard many mixed opinions about them! :confused: Your own personal experiences with them would be great :D (Not looking for a tort this time:p )
Thanks! :D

Iochroma

San Francisco
Do a search in "tortoise vendor reviews", or over at fauna classifieds in their "board of inquiry". I don't think it will take long to form an opinion...

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Bad timing asking me this. I bought 2 leopard hatchlings from them last January. They were dry started I am assuming. The first died in May I think and my other one, whom I have babied for almost a year was dead yesterday morning. Neither one of them grew. Butters, despite eating good and appearing healthy had gained less than 20 grams. I have 3 others that I got from Neal, here on the forum. They were all kept in identical enclosures and fed the same. The trio are doing great and growing at acceptable rates.
I strongly recommend NOT buying from Backwater.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Bad timing asking me this. I bought 2 leopard hatchlings from them last January. They were dry started I am assuming. The first died in May I think and my other one, whom I have babied for almost a year was dead yesterday morning. Neither one of them grew. Butters, despite eating good and appearing healthy had gained less than 20 grams. I have 3 others that I got from Neal, here on the forum. They were all kept in identical enclosures and fed the same. The trio are doing great and growing at acceptable rates.
I strongly recommend NOT buying from Backwater.
Wow! :confused: I'm so sorry! I didn't know they were that bad!
Thank you!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Do a search in "tortoise vendor reviews", or over at fauna classifieds in their "board of inquiry". I don't think it will take long to form an opinion...
I'll go a bit of digging, but this has got me a bit concerned! :(

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:confused: Just emerged from the world of Backwater reviews and it does NOT look good at all! I'll be staying away. :D