Babysitting a box turtle.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi all! I'm taking care of a box turtle for a week. I know some info about them but definitely never enough to stop asking questions. This one screams to me "I'm a girl" but she's sticking out a small "package" from time to time. Any info on the tail thing or gender confirmation would be awesome. She's around 4" scl. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20150808_090043.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 20150808_090119.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 47
  • 20150808_085843.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 45

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She is a cutie. I can't help with the sex though, sorry. I have read before that females can "flash" like males, but obviously not as much as a male:D. @Yvonne G may be able to sex them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's male, however the pictures are too big for me to get the right perspective.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Thank you, both! @Yvonne G what types of pics would you like me to take? Farther away top-down? Plastron shots? I'll help any way I can.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Full on plastron shots would be helpful. Also one with the tail as the main focus.
Do you know how old this boxie is? How are you watching him/her? Enclosure, humidity readings, temps, etc?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Full on plastron shots would be helpful. Also one with the tail as the main focus.
Do you know how old this boxie is? How are you watching him/her? Enclosure, humidity readings, temps, etc?

No idea how old she is. Temporary enclosure is a cement mixing bin planted out as much as is functional. She's kept in my redfoot room so temps and humidity are low to mid 80F with 80%+ RH. Only had her for a day (out of a week) and she's spent about 45 minutes outside for some sun.

I'll take more plastron shots tomorrow. It's past 6pm and the daytime timer kicked half the lights off. Thanks for responding.

** Clarification: Box turtle enclosure is separate from my Reds enclosure. Just in the same room under the same room temp/humidity conditions.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
No idea how old she is. Temporary enclosure is a cement mixing bin planted out as much as is functional. She's kept in my redfoot room so temps and humidity are low to mid 80F with 80%+ RH. Only had her for a day (out of a week) and she's spent about 45 minutes outside for some sun.

I'll take more plastron shots tomorrow. It's past 6pm and the daytime timer kicked half the lights off. Thanks for responding.

** Clarification: Box turtle enclosure is separate from my Reds enclosure. Just in the same room under the same room temp/humidity conditions.
80's temps are good, 80%+ humidity is also good. How much floor space does he/she have in the cement mixing bin? Would you mind posting a picture? Do you need any help with meal plans or anything?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
80's temps are good, 80%+ humidity is also good. How much floor space does he/she have in the cement mixing bin? Would you mind posting a picture? Do you need any help with meal plans or anything?

Floor space is severely lacking, but, this was last minute (like crazy 9:30pm call for the next day type deal). I know the very basics of box turtles, so I'm good on meal plans. I've been bug hunting and using the same greens as I do for my reds.

I'll post all the pics tomorrow. If I had more time to prepare, I would have made something akin to my redfoot's place. Thanks again for the help!

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
No probs. if this is only temporary then the small floor space may be okay, as long as it's a couple square feet and she/he gets "outdoor real sunlight" time.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland

I truly know how small the temporary enclosure is but there's not much I can do about it. The lady literally gave her to me in a small amazon.com box and said "thanks!". If I had a sectioned off, fully enclosed area in the backyard, I would have left her there to have fun. Hope this helps.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I'm gonna say female that likes to "flash" like Wellington said. Flat plastron, looks like maybe female tail, brown eyes.
Definite pyramiding going on here, though. I'm glad you have her in 80% humidity. Are you soaking her, as well?
That is a very nice looking box, but yeah you're right it's way too small. But this is only for a week, so it should be okay. Do you know how the owner keeps her? Is the owner a friend of yours or something for her to just drop her off in an amazon box and run?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'm gonna say female that likes to "flash" like Wellington said. Flat plastron, looks like maybe female tail, brown eyes.
Definite pyramiding going on here, though. I'm glad you have her in 80% humidity. Are you soaking her, as well?
That is a very nice looking box, but yeah you're right it's way too small. But this is only for a week, so it should be okay. Do you know how the owner keeps her? Is the owner a friend of yours or something for her to just drop her off in an amazon box and run?

I was definitely shocked to see a box turtle look that way when I first saw her. I'm sure the owner keeps her in less than optimal conditions (she also does have a secure outdoor enclosure). She loves the turtle, but there are many people out there that care for their pets but don't do (or know) what's best, ya know? I can ask about her husbandry and give tips, but other than that, I'm useless. And yes, I guess I can consider her a friend (question mark), lol.

And yes to soaks, high humidity, warm temps, high calcium greens with bugs, hiding spot, and sunshine outdoors time. That is, until the week is up. Thanks for the help :)

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
No prob. Need more help, just ask.
Maybe you can point her in the direction of this site so she can get pointers herself and create a proper enclosure. Hope all goes well!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I think it's male, however the pictures are too big for me to get the right perspective.

Yvonne, you're dead on. I got fully flashed. Seemed like most signs pointed to girl (not curved back nails, flat plastron, dull-ish color, brownish eyes). I get to join the "Just been flashed for the first time" club. Man, I'm gonna have nightmares tonight..

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Just chiming in here, but the one picture already showed everything you need to know, lol:) Censor that stuff....joking! Anyway, I just wanted to say your doing a good service to this little stud and your Redfoot looks fantastic!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Just chiming in here, but the one picture already showed everything you need to know, lol:) Censor that stuff....joking! Anyway, I just wanted to say your doing a good service to this little stud and your Redfoot looks fantastic!

Much thanks! I wasn't sure about that one pic just because I've also read that girls can play peek-a-boo (and that first time wasn't a full "fan"). The good service lasts til the end of the week, at which point who knows what will happen.

.. And which redfoot? :)

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Much thanks! I wasn't sure about that one pic just because I've also read that girls can play peek-a-boo (and that first time wasn't a full "fan"). The good service lasts til the end of the week, at which point who knows what will happen.

.. And which redfoot? :)
Sorry I should of put Redfoots, lol! They all look awesome and so well kept!
I

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Yvonne, you're dead on. I got fully flashed. Seemed like most signs pointed to girl (not curved back nails, flat plastron, dull-ish color, brownish eyes). I get to join the "Just been flashed for the first time" club. Man, I'm gonna have nightmares tonight..
Huh. That does happen, sometime. Sometimes males have a flat plastron and brown eyes. Sometimes a female will have a minor concave plastron and red eyes.
I thought he was a "peek-a-boo" female, as well.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
So how did it go?

Heh.. she thought it was awesome that I "spoiled" her turtle. Daily soaks, outdoor time, and high humidity/warm temps are the absolute minimum for me. But to her, I spoiled her box turtle.

Thanks for checking up.