Baby's head turned colors

Nsdkcp

Location (City and/or State)
SAN DIEGO
20190726_085315.jpg 20190720_111336.jpg Hello. I have a baby sulcata that I purchased just over a month ago. Her head has changed color and I am un sure if it due to the eco earth she burros in or if some has gone wrong. Over exposure? It is kind of a brown orange color. Any help, I would appreciate greatly. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

KhairulTort

Colombia
Would you be able to give us a few pictures which are a little clearer?
Has anything else about her behaviour changed that you've noticed?
How old is this hatchling? She looks < 6 months to me.
I'm not 100% confident to make a call with the pictures and info you've given, but it seems likely that the coconut coir you're using as bedding might be staining her head. Maybe dab it lightly with a cloth on your next soak to see if anything comes off.

There's also a possibility that she's starting to shed the skin on her head for the first time. The older skin has a tendency to darken before peeling off around the neck and face area first.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely from the coconut coir. Toi can see a little of the same color on the front legs

Nsdkcp

SAN DIEGO
The man who I purchased her from told me she was just over a month old. That would make her about 2 1/2 months now. But, I am not really sure. This is my first tort so I am not really sure what normal amount of activity is. Somedays shes really active, but then, like the other day found her laying all sprawled out of her shell. Her appetite is very solid and has not changed at all. Her head did seem a bit flaky, that's why I was thinking maybe she got a sunburn or something.

KhairulTort

Colombia
Then you’re most likely looking at the start of some shedding. Keep observing her daily so you become more confident about what’s normal, nothing you’re describing sounds out of the ordinary. Keep her hydrated. Sleeping lots is what baby tortoises do, but when they’re exploring or eating they should be stomping around confidently and taking firm bites out of their food. A good appetite seems to be a good indicator of health for reptiles generally.
I’ve not heard much about sunburn being an issue, but I believe so long as she has hides which she can retreat to and plants or decor in her enclosure which provide some issuable shade with quality uvb lights there should be no issue.
Here’s a picture of a little guy who recently shed the skin on his neck. Look how his head is significantly darker than the area of his neck and the area around his mouth and nose. These are the ‘high wear’ regions so that shed skin comes off quickly as he’s borrowing, eating and bumping around.
The skin sheds in bigger chucks down his neck to his legs, and occasionally little spots of skin seem to come off his head too, but in a much less uniform manner.

Attachments

• E02F87CA-4C0E-4592-B092-DA9888076B48.jpeg
    E02F87CA-4C0E-4592-B092-DA9888076B48.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Nsdkcp

SAN DIEGO
Adorable! Yes, I do believe that is what we are experiencing. Thanks so much! I will definitely keep a close eye on her, I installed a web cam so I can see her thru out the day :)