Baby tortoise swallowes a stick

Sondos

Location (City and/or State)
Saudi Arabia
So my baby tortoise swallowed a stick idk how did that ahappen but it did, i’ve noticed that she can’t swallow food propally and keeps her mouth open, after sometime i saw that she had a poop sticking out of her anus so i pulled it out, tured out it was a long stick, and now she still does that weard move with her head but she eats good but i’m super scared that the stick might have done something to her insides, could that be posible, pls help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So my baby tortoise swallowed a stick idk how did that ahappen but it did, i’ve noticed that she can’t swallow food propally and keeps her mouth open, after sometime i saw that she had a poop sticking out of her anus so i pulled it out, tured out it was a long stick, and now she still does that weard move with her head but she eats good but i’m super scared that the stick might have done something to her insides, could that be posible, pls help
How long after eating the stick did you find the poop with the stick in it?

Is the tortoise still keeping its mouth open now?

Sondos

Saudi Arabia
How long after eating the stick did you find the poop with the stick in it?

Is the tortoise still keeping its mouth open now?
All happend today, i would say after 4hrs, and no she is sleeping rn but i can here like wet noises coming out of her mouth just happend twice

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All happend today, i would say after 4hrs, and no she is sleeping rn but i can here like wet noises coming out of her mouth just happend twice
It takes several days for items to pass through a tortoises digestive tract, so I think you have a different issue. The gaping mouth is likely the start of a respiratory infection. This is most often caused by cold temperatures. How are you housing the tortoise? Indoors or out? What heat are you providing? What substrate are you using and is it damp?

Sondos

Saudi Arabia
I
It takes several days for items to pass through a tortoises digestive tract, so I think you have a different issue. The gaping mouth is likely the start of a respiratory infection. This is most often caused by cold temperatures. How are you housing the tortoise? Indoors or out? What heat are you providing? What substrate are you using and is it damp?
she is super tiny does that change the food passage time?. I have her under a uvb light most of the time and i get her under the sun for 15m. Her cage is damp and i alsow have another tortoise how’s older than her and she seems fine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
she is super tiny does that change the food passage time?. I have her under a uvb light most of the time and i get her under the sun for 15m. Her cage is damp and i alsow have another tortoise how’s older than her and she seems fine
Not much.

-Do the two tortoises share the enclosure?
-What is the temperature in the enclosure? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?
-What type of UV bulb are you using? Does is emit heat?

Sondos

Saudi Arabia
Not much.

-What is the temperature in the enclosure? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

Sondos

Saudi Arabia
Not much.

-yes they do
-not sure about the temperature but in the warm side i keep the uvb on all night
-i use the reptile one from amazon and yes it emits heat

Sondos

Saudi Arabia
-yes they do
-not sure about the temperature but in the warm side i keep the uvb on all night
And i live in a cold area i used to have a heater but since i got the uvb i stopped using it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
-yes they do
Okay. I think we've found some problems for you to correct to try and save the little one.

1. Tortoises should never live in pairs. Its really bad for them. Groups can work, but not pairs. The chronic stress of this can hamper their immune system and leave them more susceptible to disease and sickness. You need to separate them ASAP.
2. You need to know your temperatures. How do you know if it is too hot or too cold if you don't know the temperatures? Reptiles are dependent on environmental heat to thermoregulate.
3. Tortoises need it dark at night, but still warm enough. Leaving the right on all night messes them up.
4. Sounds like you have a mercury vapor bulb. These are unreliable and sometimes dangerous, and should not be used over tortoises.

Here is all the correct care info. Please read through this and make the necessary changes:

Questions are welcome.

Reactions: Ink

Sondos

Saudi Arabia
-yes they do
An i live in a cold area i used to have a heater but since i got the uvb i stopped using it
Okay. I think we've found some problems for you to correct to try and save the little one.

1. Tortoises should never live in pairs. Its really bad for them. Groups can work, but not pairs. The chronic stress of this can hamper their immune system and leave them more susceptible to disease and sickness. You need to separate them ASAP.
2. You need to know your temperatures. How do you know if it is too hot or too cold if you don't know the temperatures? Reptiles are dependent on environmental heat to thermoregulate.
3. Tortoises need it dark at night, but still warm enough. Leaving the right on all night messes them up.
4. Sounds like you have a mercury vapor bulb. These are unreliable and sometimes dangerous, and should not be used over tortoises.

Here is all the correct care info. Please read through this and make the necessary changes:

Questions are welcome.
allright tom tysm for ur time i will separate them asap, she can live alone right?
And i searches abt the mercury lamp u mentioned it does not look like the one i have.
I wish i could show u rn but its 3am so..