Picky eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaBree

5 Year Member
I've had my Greek, Countess, for two months now. She took quite a while to start eating regularly. Now that she does she pretty much only eats baby spring mix (thankfully she doesn't seem to mind her multivitamins). I know that this type of diet sustained over a long period of time is unhealthy, but she literally spits anything else I give her out. Sometimes she eats wildflower petals that stick to the spring mix. How do I teach her to like other foods?
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chop up the other foods you want to introduce fine and mix it with wet spring mix. If the spring mix is wet, the finely chopped greens will stick to it and he will have to eat it. As he gets used to this, try adding larger pieces of the greens and less spring mix, until you have a better quota of the different greens you want to feed.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You actually answered your own question in your post. The best way to get a picky eater to eat, is to finely chop up different good food, and then wet it down so it all sticks together, and then feed her, over time gradually reduce the amount of food you don't want her to eat and you can increase the amount of the food you do want her to eat.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A healthy tort can go for a couple of weeks without eating easily, but not without water or without getting hungry.

If chopping up small is failing, simply withdraw everything you don't want her to eat. Soak daily to make sure she's hydrated and BE STRONG!

She will get hungry and she will eat properly.

Tortoises can be like the worst toddler holding out for candy rather than eating their greens. You're in charge and have to ignore the sulks and tantrums. It's not easy, but you can do it! :)

NinaBree

5 Year Member
Tried chopping some dandelion and other weeds in, I think she ate some of them but it's hard to tell. Thanks for the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.