So My Baby Sulcata Ate a Rock...

Whiskers' Friend

Location (City and/or State)
Pheonix area
Hi, a few months ago I got a baby sulcata tortoise (Whiskers), she lives inside with a UV lamp (possibly the wrong name), but I like to take her outside several times a week to give some sun and change of scenery. Yesterday while we were out there she got a rock in her mouth and swallowed it before I could take it from her. The rock fit on her tongue, but still seemed big enough that I'm amazed she could swallow it. She hasn't really eaten much since. I've tried giving her a warm bath but she hasn't pooped. She also isn't as active. Usually when I put her in water she drinks, pees, and tries to get out, it's very unusual for her to be staying in one place for ten plus minuets when there are things to be explored.
Please help, I'm rather scared for her safety!

Also, does anyone know how much calcium she should be getting? She usually pees some out so I've stopped putting it on her food (this is after her rock eating) and instead put a cuddle bone in her area, is this the right move?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Sulcatas are very opportunistic. They will eat virtually anything including stones if they can fit in their mouth. Chances are it should pass if it was only a single stone. I would do warm soaks twice daily. Make sure the tub is large enough to move around in. It is not unusual for them to have a loss of appetite for a few days afterwards.

I'd avoid giving the cuttlebone until the stone passes. Continue giving the powder (just a pinch 2 to 3 ties weekly sprinkled over wet food). Keep a close eye on it and feed high fiber greens. Perhaps a bit of aloe will help as well.

Mine has eaten a few stones, a cigarette butt, and a 4 ft cloth kite tail. lol

Whiskers' Friend

Pheonix area
Sulcatas are very opportunistic. They will eat virtually anything including stones if they can fit in their mouth. Chances are it should pass if it was only a single stone. I would do warm soaks twice daily. Make sure the tub is large enough to move around in. It is not unusual for them to have a loss of appetite for a few days afterwards.

I'd avoid giving the cuttlebone until the stone passes. Continue giving the powder (just a pinch 2 to 3 ties weekly sprinkled over wet food). Keep a close eye on it and feed high fiber greens. Perhaps a bit of aloe will help as well.

Mine has eaten a few stones, a cigarette butt, and a 4 ft cloth kite tail. lo
That's very reassuring! I do that. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, a few months ago I got a baby sulcata tortoise (Whiskers), she lives inside with a UV lamp (possibly the wrong name), but I like to take her outside several times a week to give some sun and change of scenery. Yesterday while we were out there she got a rock in her mouth and swallowed it before I could take it from her. The rock fit on her tongue, but still seemed big enough that I'm amazed she could swallow it. She hasn't really eaten much since. I've tried giving her a warm bath but she hasn't pooped. She also isn't as active. Usually when I put her in water she drinks, pees, and tries to get out, it's very unusual for her to be staying in one place for ten plus minuets when there are things to be explored.
Please help, I'm rather scared for her safety!

Also, does anyone know how much calcium she should be getting? She usually pees some out so I've stopped putting it on her food (this is after her rock eating) and instead put a cuddle bone in her area, is this the right move?
Rock eating behavior is typically seen when they are fed a lots of grocery store greens. What are you feeding the tortoise?

They should get a tiny pinch of calcium twice a week for most cases.

They don't pee out calcium. The white stuff you are seeing is urates. Urates are the product of protein digestion in a dehydrated tortoise. You need to be soaking the tortoise daily.

Its good to offer cuttle bones, but don't skip the calcium, especially if you are feeding grocery store greens, which are often low in calcium.

Whiskers' Friend

Pheonix area
I only feed her stuff from my yard, I try to feed her mostly grass, but that doesn't always end up happening since the grass in my yard is very dry and Whiskers only seems to be able to chew some of it. Thanks for the tip on the water.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
If you wet the grass, then chop it up very small, Whiskers would be able to manage it more easily.
It takes a while for food to pass through the gut, so don't worry too much - try to keep her active as much as possible, to help move the stone along faster. Good luck.
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I only feed her stuff from my yard, I try to feed her mostly grass, but that doesn't always end up happening since the grass in my yard is very dry and Whiskers only seems to be able to chew some of it. Thanks for the tip on the water.
Normal yard grass is too tough for little babies. You need freshly sprouted tender young grass for babies. Weeds and leaves f the right types from the yard are great.

Check this out: