Baby Sulcatas

jdattilio

I got my first three baby sulcatas today! I have them inside a 14 gallon Rubbermaid bucket with a reptifogger and a little dripper and a 50 watt basking light with Eco earth..
I'm not sure when i can put them outside its a 102 in Northern California right now.. Any suggestions would be great
Thank you ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439675404.057714.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They need a bigger enclosure and a clay saucer for water. Water available 24/7. Also read Toms threads below in my post if you haven't. Also, keep an eye out for bullying. The temp and humidity gauge should be at tort level.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, I think someone said on another thread to you, that the reptifogger won't substitute for moist substrate and a covered enclosure.
Try using a piece of slate or similar to put the food on, to prevent the tortoises eating the substrate and to help keep the beaks trimmed.
A water dish is essential, you can buy a cheap, shallow, terracotta saucer, big enough for a tort to soak in , very cheaply and sink it into your substrate.
The light should point directly downwards for best effect and to extend the life of the bulb.
Please tell me you didn't buy one of the coiled bulbs you were considering before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Wow! You went from maybe getting three box turtle babies to getting three sulcata babies. That's quite a change.

Please understand that the "gallons" referred to in the size of your plastic tote refers to volume. What your tortoise needs in a habitat is floor space, not volume. Especially three babies. You need a habitat much bigger than that one for three babies.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: Please follow the care sheets and feel free to ask lots of questions! Your babies are very cute!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome !
m0754.gif