Baby Sulcatas

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
1. What is the brand name of the analog hygrometer thermometer device in the picture? Accurate models are quite expensive and still require routine re-calibration. Cheap models on the other hand. should not be relied upon.
2. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. One tortoise will always bully and harass the other until they lose the will to fight back. Please keep them in separate enclosures to prevent that from happening.

Yeetster

West Virginia
1. What is the brand name of the analog hygrometer thermometer device in the picture? Accurate models are quite expensive and still require routine re-calibration. Cheap models on the other hand. should not be relied upon.
2. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. One tortoise will always bully and harass the other until they lose the will to fight back. Please keep them in separate enclosures to prevent that from happening.

I keep the thermometer in there and also have a temp gun from Lowe’s and Sulcatas are often separated except for when eating and soaking

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I keep the thermometer in there and also have a temp gun from Lowe’s and Sulcatas are often separated except for when eating and soaking

This doesn't answer my question. Temperature guns cannot measure humidity levels.

Keeping tortoises temporarily separated is not going to completely stop them from hurting each other during the times they do actually interact. Tortoises will bite, headbutt, scratch, and flip other tortoises over in an attempt to show dominance over the other. Overtime, the loser of these battles will lose the will to fight back, to eat, and or do anything because they are trapped inside an enclosure and are unable to do anything to stop the harassment. I would say that this tortoise pairing situation is comparable to being confined in solitary confinement with a another person that has the freedom to do anything he or she wants with you. There's no where to run and there's nowhere to turn to for help.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Beautiful torts! I remember when mine where that size! I have two as well. Rocky & Apollo. What did you name them?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I don’t think Yeetster was asking for anyone’s input. Just showing off these beautiful torts! They’re so cute :).

Whether or not someone asks for advice doesn’t really matter much for a number of reasons. Who knows if they’ll ever ask for advice? If we don’t tell them now, when will we ever tell them? When it comes to the welfare of a living thing, if you see something that should be changed for the health of an animal, you need to speak up.

Additionally, if other people see something that no one is saying should stop and is labeled as something good, who’s to say they won’t try it too? By giving advice, you not only help the original poster, but also onlookers looking to do the same.

If you saw someone with a visibly dying plant that you knew how to fix, and they take great joy in caring for it but the owner doesn’t know it’s dying, would you tell them how to revive it, even if they were just showing it to you?

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
It’s more of the rude way he responded.
We all know nobody takes advice well this way. Doesn’t work.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

I don’t think it was rude. Minority was just giving him important advice, even if it wasn’t sugar coated. I saw nothing wrong with his answer.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

Many members of tortoise forum have read and seen various examples of tortoises getting sick and passing from issues that were often overlooked. Issues that turned out to be quite easy to fix when informed. Now If my advice is incorrect feel free to correct me on it. Which of my replies in this thread was disrespectful in any way? Please point it out to me because I don't see it. Am I suppose to remain silent if I any potential red flags? Are you saying that's okay?

Yeetser good idea. My Rocky and Apollo both turned out to be females lol

Pairs of females are not completely exempt from conflict. A female tortoise can also bully and harass another female tortoise when it comes to territorial issues and when they feel like they're ready to mate.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Haha this isn’t about me. Lady’s and gents...is this not a friendly forum? The tone here is so aggressive.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Geeezz. I have based all my info and set up for 3-4 years on what I have found here. Most yes on rude responses. The point is that we need to be a little more friendly.