Baby Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

bam91

5 Year Member
I have a baby Sulcata I bought him from a flee market here in SC. The guy I bought him from told me to put him in a glass tank buy some play sand and put a water dish in there for him. I had him in that setup with a heat lamp for about 2 days but after I started doing research about the Sulcatas I found out this guy was wrong. Now I have him in a mixture of topsoil which is moist with a heat lamp on oneside at 85 degrees. I have a plastic hid for him to hold some humidity and spray around to keep humid. The question I have is my tortoise he goes in the plastic hide and sleeps all day he came out one time that I saw yesterday. I soak him twice a day. Also the weather around here has been sunny and about 88 degrees so I took him outside and he moved around a lot and ate some dandelions. Should I be concerned that he is in his hide sleeping 95% of the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Bam91:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

I'm assuming that you are in South Carolina?

Baby tortoises sleep/hide a lot. What kinds of food are you offering?

You can bring him out and place him in front of the food several times throughout the day. He will eventually realize he's in a safe place and start to come out more on his own.

bam91

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Bam91:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

I'm assuming that you are in South Carolina?

Baby tortoises sleep/hide a lot. What kinds of food are you offering?

You can bring him out and place him in front of the food several times throughout the day. He will eventually realize he's in a safe place and start to come out more on his own.

Hello my name is Bryan I have been offering him dandelions,hay and bermuda grass. When I put him in the sun outside he ate a couple of dandelion leaves.
Thank you guys for all of your responses! The info is really helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.