Baby Sulcata/humidity

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sutherlin, Oregon
Currently I keep his enclosure moist by mixing in water to his dirt about 1x weekly and spraying/misting it down with water daily, but what are some of the best ways to keep the humidity just right in the enclosure?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
To raise humidity and keep it steady there are 4 important parts
- You need a lid on your enclosure, i.e. a closed chamber. An open top will not keep the humidty 'in'. You may need to cut holes in the lid around lights.
- The temperatures must be warm enough - cold humidity leads to respiratory infection
- All the substrate needs to be evenly damp. Not patches of it. Take the decor out, tip water in and mix it thoroughly with your hands. You will need to repeat this every couple of weeks or so. The substrate must not be wet as this can cause shell rot.
- Misting with a hand spray helps to slow the rate at which the substrate dries out.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Can you share the age of your tortoise and maybe a picture or two as well to help us help you with answers?
I'm in Oregon as well. Your south of me, but I think you'll get to miss the "great winter of '16" we'll be getting on Thursday, right?

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Sutherlin, Oregon
Thank you everyone. I have a lid on top. It has between 85-95 degree range temps. The hot spot about 100. He is approx. 1 year old. I will put those tips into place. Thanks so much. I don't currently have a photo and I am not home. I am also living in metro Portland area now. Tualatin area. :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Thank you everyone. I am living in metro Portland area now. Tualatin area. :)
How'd you like our winter blast Thursday afternoon? I work swing shift in Canby and got a text Thursday morning from my supervisor letting me know that swing shift was canceled for the night. I thanked her and let her know I was more than happy to stay in my nice warm bed! ; )

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Sutherlin, Oregon
The weather has been crazy!!! I don't mind the snow, but the ice is a bit too much. Haha. Especially since I'm not used to it. The cold is a bit much too!! Not caring for the cold weather. So glad my babies are nice and cozy indoors. What species of critters do you have?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
What species of critters do you have?
Currently I only have an adopted male sulcata. I've had though, up until recently a large groups of sulcata, a smallish herd of russian, and a group of pancakes. I was in a pretty good(sarcasm) wreck and while in recovery my exwife adopted all of those out.

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Sutherlin, Oregon
Bummer, I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you the best with recovery. And your future with your current and potential new babies if you have any. :)