Baby Sulcata Enclosure...... is it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Ok, so i have read, read, read and followed so many instructions. Have i got it all ok now? I just want my best for Dixie.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ejzg9g.jpg

(tried adding other pics but having probs)

I have:
* soil/coconut coir mix substrate.
* humid hide in the corner
* water dish with 2 cm water
* separate plate for food so it doesn't mix with soil
* soaking 2 to 3 times daily
* spraying at least 2 times a day also
* feeding - romaine, spring mix, carrot (which she loves)
* UVB light and spot light for basking spot

Can i also ask a few questions:
> Should i worry about Dixie eating the substrate?
> The soil gets stuck to her nose and feet.... is it a problem?
> She doesn't seem to want to sit in the water ...... is it ok to let her out? or should I make her stay for 10 to 15 minutes?

Any further advice?

lets see if this works..... hope you can see the set up better.

http://yfrog.com/jusdc12010oj
http://yfrog.com/03sdc12011mj

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
turtletania said:
Can i also ask a few questions:
> Should i worry about Dixie eating the substrate?
> The soil gets stuck to her nose and feet.... is it a problem?
> She doesn't seem to want to sit in the water ...... is it ok to let her out? or should I make her stay for 10 to 15 minutes?

It looks great to me, good job. As far as the soaking goes, you can soak her in a seperate tub for 10-15minutes (That she can't get out of). Just use warm water.

Eating some of the substrate is fine, just make sure she's not eating a lot of it.

The only thing that worried me ( can't tell from the pics, but it looks close) is how close the lights are to the substrate. How far are the lights from it?

And what bulbs are you using? If they are coiled bulbs, I would stay away from them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice job. Here are some fine points:

1. I second Rob's concern about the bulbs. What is the temp under the hottest part of the basking spot?
2. That newspaper under your damp substrate is going to rot and disintegrate very quickly.
3. I soak once a day, in a separate container, Like Rob said, for 10-20 minutes. Just let them use the pool in the enclosure at will.
4. Diet: First I'd quit the carrots. A little bit once or twice a month won't hurt anything, but it shouldn't be a staple. Second, more variety would be better. They sell all sorts of leafy greens at the store and you've probably got free weeds and grass where you are. Just make sure what you feed has no pesticides or fertilizers on it. I like rose, hibiscus, and mulberry leaves. Try dandelions, mallow, plantain(the weed, not the fruit), sow-thistle and, of course, regular old, fresh cut lawn grass. I use scissors to trim some and then cut it up and sprinkle it all over the other food.
5. I can't figure out whats going on with the stuff on the far right side of the cage. Is that some baskets and a hamster ladder?
6. Probably the most important: Are you getting Dixie outside for some sun and exercise in a large, safe pen?

turtletania

5 Year Member
1. Basking point reaches 95 to 100 in the day, and drops to 90 to 95 at night. I have a 60 watt clouded bulb in that one.
The UVB is only a 5... cos I cant get anything else here. I can't buy on line cos customs here wont allow bulbs in the mail. So i have to wait till I travel next and will be buying a suitcase full.
The distance is about 20cms from substrate(as recommended by someone on SulcataStation)
2. I will try to remove as much newspaper as I can.
3. i got a large plastic tub last night to put her in to soak.... actually she looks so small in it, but i figure that wont last long.
4. ok... so the carrots go (boy there are so many different opinions!!! LOL) Can i ask why they are bad?
5. The baskets in the enclosure came with her... and the breeder suggested to keep them as they have been with her since hatchling. I was wondering how long I should leave them there. When we first got her she sat in them or next to them ALL the time.... now she hardly goes near them.... maybe it was just a comforting thing.
6. I have a 5 ft x 5ft pen outside that I put her in everyday for about an hour (that's only cos I am so scared about leaving her there.) It has a lid on it, but we have so many snakes here, I am scared about leaving her unattended. I have let the grass grow in it, and she just eats nonstop while in there. There is also a hybiscus plant, but she hasn't touched that yet - i thought she would destroy it!!!

You guys are just awesome for helping. Thanks so much. With stars, boxes, RES and Reeves I feel so confident, but Dixie has really challenged me..... and I am loving every bit I learn, cos I know it will make her happy and healthy. Thankyou again.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Yes, lose the carrots - only as a treat... Too much vit A I think.

I would not worry too much about soaking if you are providing a humid hide, moist\diggable substrate, and there is access to fresh clean water as you have. Misting the top of the shell often is a good idea as well.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Make sure the enclosure is dark at night--no lights. You need only 10-14 hours a day light, the rest dark and cooler. Keep it above 65/70 F at night, but you do want it cooler than the day temps. What is the coldest day temp in the enclosure so we have an idea of the range? The basking is good, but make sure no spot is below 70/75 F during the day. Carrots are starchy and sweet. I would never feed them. Sweet stuff is addicting to them. If you never feed it, they never miss it. They wouldn't get it in the wild. Flowers, butternut squash, cactus pads, and pumpkin are healthy treat foods. You want to stick to weeds, greens, lettuces, veggie leaves, etc. Not actual vegetables for the most part. Never fruit.

Make sure you have a hide in the cool area, a moderate temp hide, and a hide very near the basking spot. You can't get a Mercury Vapor Bulb anywhere in your country? Wow that sucks. Make sure that food dish isn't slippery. I like to use a slate tile. If it is slippery, the tort can slide around when trying to rip and tear the food and get frustrated. It takes different muscles to eat in indoor captivity vs. in the wild or outdoor captivity where the plant is still growing. If she goes in the water on her own on a regular basis, I would not do the soaks. Otherwise, I think it is a good idea. A container large enough to turn around but not to walk around in is good, as is one that is not clear. Make sure the outside pen is chemical free. No pesticides or fertilizers for the last 6 months at least. I'd plant some weeds and greens in there and you can even pick them to bring inside if she doesn't go outside. Every day for an hour outside is good for UVB. Almost enough that I'd say you don't need the indoor bulb, but not quite. Daily pure calcium supplement sprinkled on food? Good luck! You are doing awesome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Turtletania:

LOL!! I love that you have put up a picture for your tortoise's decoration! The habitat is nice and big. Good job.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Yvonne: The picture is basically cos we have so many visitors and it is just easier to have the picture and a small description - saves me telling everyone who comes to visit.

Kate: We tried several different dishes and this is the one she is happy to go on and happy to eat on. If i see her slipping I will be sure to find something else... but so far she gobbles absolutely everything there is. No problem with pesticide free gardens... I dont think that even exists here. Cos we are in a highly wet region, everything is green and lush. So pumpkin is ok? what should I do to it? cook it and mash it first?
The tub is not clear - it is green.
I will take a photo of the "reserve" (empty totally overgrown piece of land) next to us..... and post it later. I am hoping that someone can tell me what there is growing in there that she can eat - cos i can pick it with no problems.
Should I be turning off the lights at night? I am worried she would get too cool.
The MERCURY VAPOR BULB you spoke of? do they come in different strengths? What should I be looking for? I am travelling in September and hope to be able to get some then.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
turtletania said:
The UVB is only a 5... cos I cant get anything else here. I can't buy on line cos customs here wont allow bulbs in the mail. So i have to wait till I travel next and will be buying a suitcase full.
The distance is about 20cms from substrate(as recommended by someone on SulcataStation)

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't 20cm (about 8.5 inches) far too close for any UVB bulb?

And if I missed it sorry, but what kind of bulb is it?

Is it something like this?

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDcQ8wIwAg#

If so, I would suggest finding another means of a UVB bulb or taking her outside at least 9-10 hours a week.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Yes, just put the lights on a simple timer that you should be able to find at any home improvement type store. They are cheap and easy to use. If the temps don't get below 70 at night, then no problem. If the temps are too cool at night, you can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) that provides heat, but no light.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Rob: Its an ExoTerra 0.5 repto uvb......so that is why i got it. It isn't the normal ones you put in the link.

Chad: I will turn off the lights tonight and check the temps a few times overnight to see. But i doubt it will drop below 70. We live right on the equator and the temps rarely change.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sounds much better to turn off the light at night--torts need to dark to sleep, and need a natural temp drop like they'd get in the wild.

You can feed the pumpkin raw (I use a cheese grater) or cooked or canned (no additives, only pumpkin). Same with butternut squash. For cactus pads, I cut out the spines and chop it up small, or else my tort will swallow bites I think are too large for him. Some torts do fine with a chunk of the cactus pad though. I'd have those sort of treat foods as about 5% of the diet.

Look for a T-Rex or Mega Watt 100 Watt MVB as those are the best brands, but, any brand of MVB is better than a tube UVB bulb. They come in 100, 160, and 250 Watt. The 100 is suitable for most torts. The 160 isn't that much stronger and tough to get the temps right from my experience and what I read. The 250 is for adult Sulcata size torts. You need a hood fixture with a ceramic socket to use these, mounted on a lamp stand so you can adjust the bulb height to get the temps right, and have the bulb face parallel to the substrate (or else you risk health problems with the tort, and damaging the bub). If the tort gets outside a couple hours a day 5 days a week though, I wouldn't even bother with a UVB bulb and just use a house light bulb in the day. The type you have now needs to be replaced every 6 months, so mark that on your calendar (unless the tort ends up getting a bit more sun, and then you can do away with it).

Status
Not open for further replies.