Sand and soil mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark

5 Year Member
I'm changing my tortoise table this weekend to a mix of sand an soil should it be 50-50 and should I actually mix the sand and soil together first? Also I spot clean daily but how often should I completely take the soil and sand out and replace wig new? Thanks in dvance for your help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mark:

Most of my turtles and tortoises have permanent outdoor habitats, so I don't have to worry about these kinds of things, but I usually end up with a turtle or tortoise that has to be kept in and up over the winter, and in these cases, I use the same substrate for the whole season. If you spot clean, the substrate should be good for a very long time. You will know by looking and smelling when it should be tossed.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Personally, I don't and wouldn't use sand at all. I'm not sure just what it adds besides weight. I would rather see a soil and coir mixture.

rylo922

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
Personally, I don't and wouldn't use sand at all. I'm not sure just what it adds besides weight. I would rather see a soil and coir mixture.

What kind of soil do you use? Where do you get it? Do you mix it with the eco earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.