Baby Runt is an EXCAVATOR!!!

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest Florida
DSCN1055_07-22-2014.JPG

Well, it's official, Baby Runt decided what she wants to do when she grows up. Yes, you guessed it, she wants to be a tunnel excavator. Here she is getting started on her first excavation project. She did all this in just a half hour, and was tossing dirt up to three feet away. The look on her face seems to say, "what are you stopping me for? I'm just getting started." And boy was she upset when momma picked her up and took her home! Momma got a good squeezing of one of her fingers by Baby Runt's arm. It looks like we're going to have to dig her a sand box in the middle of the yard so she can have a place to excavate safely!

Last edited:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I love seeing how Baby Runt has grown and thrived. In case some don't know her story, she was a rescue from AZ. At the age of 3 years old, she weighed only 4 oz. Today, she's a year older and weighs nearly 20 lbs! The cement blocks in the pic is 16" long, and yet she looks like she could be that long too. For any that's interested I her history, search my user name to find her threads. Thanks :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
He is too cool! If my tort is like that I would probably freak out, is it that worrying? I hope he doesn't cause lots of damage, if that is done in 30 mins, what would happen in a day?

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
He is too cool! If my tort is like that I would probably freak out, is it that worrying? I hope he doesn't cause lots of damage, if that is done in 30 mins, what would happen in a day?
Yeah, that's why my next project is to build a controlled digging area for Baby Runt in the middle of the yard! In the meantime, we're going to have to keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't try to dig underneath the cement blocks again.

What's scary is that the soil here is really sandy and seems all too easy for her to dig through. So, yes, in a day, I'm sure she could tunnel pretty far if she got it in her head to do so.

We're also hoping that she won't give any ideas to our other two torts about digging. Then we might be in really big trouble! :eek:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm giving this thread a bump so that some can find it;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( So far my laptop has not liked any of the ways I have tried to open the photo. :(

In the past, I have not had any tunneling with my guys, but this year I have three of them going at it. I guess I should say four of them and three tunnels. The first thing my two big guys did almost the first day in their new enclosure was start a tunnel. It's a huge thing now. Two other smaller sulcatas also have made tunnels, but only little ones.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
:( So far my laptop has not liked any of the ways I have tried to open the photo. :(

In the past, I have not had any tunneling with my guys, but this year I have three of them going at it. I guess I should say four of them and three tunnels. The first thing my two big guys did almost the first day in their new enclosure was start a tunnel. It's a huge thing now. Two other smaller sulcatas also have made tunnels, but only little ones.

How huge is the tunnel? Can you tell? I'd get one of those camera with a scope on it to put into the tunnel just to make sure they don't go to the neighbors. I may have to buy a farm :p

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Big enough that the two over 50 lb boyz disappear from view. lol They are tunneling more towards the house, then the neighbor's. They have 100 yards of more to go before they get there. :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Big enough that the two over 50 lb boyz disappear from view. lol They are tunneling more towards the house, then the neighbor's. They have 100 yards of more to go before they get there. :)

How are you gonna get them out when it gets too cold?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Tom said that if you put a hose inside and turn it on they will run out like a rocket!

Abdullah!!! You're back. Yeah, I guess Jacqui can do that. She has two big guys down there, digging who knows how deep. It would be interesting how long are the tunnels, and of there's several tunnels.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said that if you put a hose inside and turn it on they will run out like a rocket!

I did that awhile back and the male inside at the time, just thought I was nice to give him an indoor pool.

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
To follow up, I haven't had a chance to start digging the hole in the middle of the yard yet, and I've had to block off the area where Baby Runt was digging before. But naturally she still wants to get back there to dig. Well, it just so happens that I was in the area where she likes to dig today. I was looking the other way, minding my own business, when I heard the sound of movement from behind the blocks. So I stopped what I was doing, turned, and this was the scene before me...

WP_20140802_12_17_49_Pro_08-02-2014.jpg
Baby Runt is on the left and Beasty Boy is on the right. I thought this was so funny, and I felt like she was saying, "You let me in there! I brought my big friend with me and he's going to rough you up if you don't let me get back there to dig!" I burst out laughing and pulled out my phone to snap some quick pictures. These torts are just too much...! :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
To follow up, I haven't had a chance to start digging the hole in the middle of the yard yet, and I've had to block off the area where Baby Runt was digging before. But naturally she still wants to get back there to dig. Well, it just so happens that I was in the area where she likes to dig today. I was looking the other way, minding my own business, when I heard the sound of movement from behind the blocks. So I stopped what I was doing, turned, and this was the scene before me...

View attachment 89951
Baby Runt is on the left and Beasty Boy is on the right. I thought this was so funny, and I felt like she was saying, "You let me in there! I brought my big friend with me and he's going to rough you up if you don't let me get back there to dig!" I burst out laughing and pulled out my phone to snap some quick pictures. These torts are just too much...! :)

You made me laugh so hard with this post. They both looks great.

Thanks for the story.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
This is sibi, his wife. Notice how big Baby Runt has gotten. She only weighs 20 odd pounds, but her big friend behind her is about 40 labs!
Sulcata Mafia.
Exactly! That's what it looked like LOL